View post (How do you know when you're good?)

View thread

Joseph
Joseph
08/01/2002 8:29 pm

It's a question that we ask ourselves over and over again as musicians, but in reality the answer can be very simple. I think what happens is that we search for such grand gestures in our life, love and everything else in between... and especially when it comes to our musical compositions, we question if we're good enough, and if we'll ever get to that point we've always dreamed of.

Well, I think that it all falls into place when we just stop thinking about it. Basically, we'll never get anywhere if we constantly compare our efforts to others, because we all work at our own pace. What were looking for is comfort, and I think that we can find it very naturally with just enough patience, strength and of course a little bit of confidence.

I must say, it's easier said than done, because as a muscian, I can be very hard on myself at times... but it's the little things that help me realize that I'm good.

First and foremost, I consider myself a songwriting before anything else.. when I can write a couple of really good songs a week, then I know that I've come a long way. And also, I play with my eyes shut a lot of times I just try to really feel the music, and that's exactly what I've wanted to do for years. And I've gotten to this point because I've kept very busy as a musician, I always keep moving onto something else, 'something new!'

So, how do you know when you're good? Let me remind you, it's not about what others think, it's about what you think. How do you know you're good

www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."