Hi from Virginia

NickFerra
NickFerra
08/23/2017 10:49 pm

Hi,

I've been here for a while but I've been absent. I haven't had internet at home but now I have a pretty decent phone with data so I am back on guitartricks.com

I wanted to ask if someone can point me in the right direction here.

I know rythem guitar pretty good. I know a lot of chords when it comes to open, Barre and power chords.

And I've been playing off and on since i was 16 and that's really all I've ever known to play. Just chords. So i I haven't really advanced any. I've been stuck for years! Just playing those 3 types of chords.

I want to advance my playing. So i am guessing I need to learn lead guitar which will take me to another level.

I don't want to keep being "Guitar George who knows ALL the chords but doesnt want to make it cry or sing"

Im in a band playing rythem guitar but we keep going through lead guitarists all the time. Either they move, they are jerks, they have a big ego or just want to get wasted on stage and embarrass us all during shows.

So the signs keep pointing to me "learn lead guitar. Learn lead guitar!"

I've mentioned it to my singer and our drummer and they just both ignore me. They are probably like "yeah right, whatever."

As they put out more ads on Craigslist looking for new lead guitarists.

So besides wanting to prove them wrong I also want to learn lead so i can advance my playing.

I know several scales. I know all the pentatonic scale patterns.

And i know a few G major scale patterns.

But how to apply them to make it sound good and not make it sound like I'm just playing a scale up and down is where I am weak at.

Also trying to figure out which scale I should play that goes good with chord progressions doesn't make sense to me.

I can't just Jam with people and improvise. I can't find the right scales or notes and then I get embarrassed and just stop playing and think "Wow! I really suck"

I'd love to improvise and to be able to jam with other musicians on the fly... and actually have fun...

And i want to write good music and make up melodic guitar melodies.

So can someone point me in the right direction and give me some tips and advice? Which lessons should I start with?

I'm here to learn and rock the guitar

# 1
Matthias Hornstein
Matthias Hornstein
08/23/2017 10:51 pm

Welcome to the forum Nick! Great to have you here

# 2
splatter1
splatter1
09/05/2017 3:38 pm

Hi Nick[br] I'm a lead guitar player in a hair metal / classic rock band . I learned my licks by learning the leads to my favorite songs . I would suggest finding some songs you like that aren't to hard to play and learning those leads . After you learn then try and determine what scale they used to play them .

As far as jamming goes I would stick with the minor and major penatonic for now . If nothing else get yourself a looper , play a few chords and try putting a lead over them . It won't be to long till it stops sounding like scales and starts sounding like a lead .

Good luck

Tim

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.