No Clue (Hardware)

El Caballo777
El Caballo777
08/01/2002 7:25 pm
Hi All,

short intro:

I've once learnd guitar on an off for about 2 years but I bought a crappy guitar (Synsonics), a decent begginers amp (Fender Bullet) and that's it.

since those 2 years, 5 more had gone by and now I want to buy a normal guitar and to put a little heart into the hobbie.

I found myself trying to decide between two guitars and both of they're specs made me feel overwhelmed with information that dosn't mean a thing to me.

------------------

where can I find explanations about the guitar hardware?

I'm so clueless I don't know anything about anything:
humbuckers, floyds, pickups, bridge settings etc.
(I'm not even sure about the meanings of the stuff I mentiond)

thnx in advance

El Caballo

------------------
[added later info]

Thnx to Azrael n James8831, I've read the begginers material in this site (I knew most of this info).

when I checked reviews about guitars i wanted to buy, they all talked about changing pickups, replacing the bridge+nut and other changes too. (non of which I understand)

I wish to read more elaborate material about the hardware tunings/changes types of hardware.

because, at the moment I don't understand the difference between (4 example):
'Sat-30 Bridge' and a 'Lo trs II Bridge'
'Jumbo Frets' and 'Medium Frets'
'22 Fret Neck' and '24 Fret Neck' etc.

thnx in advance

El Caballo

[Edited by El Caballo777 on 08-01-2002 at 07:36 PM]
What's the difference between Michael Jackson and a plastic bag?

One is made of plastic and dangerous for children and the other is used to carry grossaries.

El Caballo :cool:
# 1
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
08/01/2002 8:02 pm
well.. you could go and by some guitarmagazine and go trough some of the tech sections.. you may also search the net for some guitarbasic-thingies.. i have no link ready at the moment, but i think there is some basics section on this site here too

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 2
James8831
James8831
08/01/2002 9:15 pm
It's easy to miss the Beginner section on the site home page...

Start Here

Larger.

Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 3
dot-dot-dot
dot-dot-dot
08/02/2002 12:18 pm
Originally posted by El Caballo777
'Sat-30 Bridge' and a 'Lo trs II Bridge'
'Jumbo Frets' and 'Medium Frets'
'22 Fret Neck' and '24 Fret Neck' etc.

Dunno about the Sat-30 bridge, but the Lo TRS 2 isn't that great a Floyd. The Edge and Low Pro Edge are Ibanez's high quality Floyds, the TRS is a bit bargain basement.

Jumbo and medium are just different sizes of frets. Play some guitars with different sized frets and see which you prefer the feel of.

The last two... well, a 22-fret neck has 22 frets, and a 24-fret neck has 24 frets. What don't you get about that? Some people will tell you that 24-fret necks are inferior because "the neck pickup should be where the 24th fret is to pick up harmonics". Ignore them; they are weak-minded (not to mention fundamentally incorrect).

It comes down to whether you'll really need those 2 extra notes that a 24-fret guitar will give you.
Squeeze the day!

The Monkey FX Page - effect guides and handbuilt pedals.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.