View post (Good to great?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/05/2017 4:30 pm
Originally Posted by: ctredwin

So what does it take to get to that level?

[/quote]

Practice. Hours a day, days a week, weeks a year. For years. :)

Originally Posted by: ctredwin

likewise, in most GT lessen videos, there are very few noticeable errors. (Any instructors reading? How many takes for a perfect lesson video on average?)

The mistakes are edited out.

Before I sit in front of a video camera I've spent at least a week constantly drilling the material I'm planning on teaching. Simple or hard. Doesn't matter. Hours & hours hands on machine.

I want to know & play it so well I can do it in my sleep. I drill it so much that it becomes second-nature. I need to be able to play & talk about it at the same time.

Some things require more prep (jazz & classical piece for example) so I'll spend a few hours a day for a couple of weeks. And I'll still make the occasional mistake! :)

[quote=ctredwin]

in short, should intermediate level players like me accept that perfection is most often out of reach, or is it just another barrier to break through?

Just another barrier. Takes some people longer than others. Certain physical motions come easier to some individuals. But it all comes down to practice.

Jeff said it all with this line:

"... there is no substitute for hands on the instrument."[br][br]That's the stone cold truth.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory