View post (Practice Space)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
09/02/2017 3:35 pm

Following up on the sub-subject of 'how' or 'where' to keep one's guitars in the practice space... Having to take a guitar out of its case is never an impediment to playing or practice for me

I have never liked the idea of hanging guitars on the wall or keeping them on display on a floor stand. I freely admit to babying my instruments much more than some and keeping them safely within their cases is the way to go for me. The environment in my practice room may be more extreme than others' rooms but the issues affecting guitars are not that much different. There's a lot of dust (rural area in the arid Mountain west), large temperature changes during any 24-hour period (again, Mountain west), low humidity or significant fluxes from day to day (arid...), sunlight streaming through the windows, pets, foot traffic, etc. And I don't have kids...or air conditioning...or forced air heat; all of which are varying risks to guitar health. During this time of year, daytime closed and nighttime open windows exacerbate some of these issues none of which are good for guitars. Keeping them in their cases helps protect the axes from virtually all of the 'threats.' (my friend had his guitar knocked off its floor stand by an enthusiastic floor vacuumning

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins