View post (Practice Space)

View thread

wolfsmg
wolfsmg
07/22/2017 8:39 am

So you've just started down the road to guitar fame, fortune and fun. Congratulations! You keep hearing and reading about this "practice space" you should set up, but you live in an apartment where you have to go outside to change your mind. I know your pain and hopefully can alleviate it with some helpful advice. It may cost you a little bit of cash, but the following items helped me out.

1. A stool/chair (folding if possible) and a small rug that fits beneath it with enough space for your feet to rest on.

2. A folding tray stand (television dinner style).

3. A cookbook stand.

4. A guitar stand. I'd suggest one that supports the neck. (If your guitar is visible, you'll play it. Trust me.)

5. A container to hold cables, pedals, etc.

6. A small container for picks. (Make sure it can fit into your gig bag or pocket though.)

Now you're probably asking, "Why a chair and small rug?" The stool I use is for one thing only: practicing and playing. Same with the rug. If I go out on my balcony, they go with me. If I go to jam at someone's house, they go with me.

The folding tray and cookbook stand are for your sheet music/tabs. Also a great reason to put the computer to sleep and concentrate on practice.

All of these items should easily fit into a closet/behind a chair, except your guitar. NEVER hide your guitar (unless you have/know destructive children). Guitars like to be looked at and admired, it makes them happy. Not as happy as being played, but happy.

Some helpful stuff that's not vitally important when you first start:

Paper: For taking notes and copying tabs/chord diagrams. While you can print out tab and chord diagram blanks, you can also use graph paper.

Capo: You'll need one eventually and they're not that expensive.

A Pedal: A cheap multi-effect pedal. Practice can get boring sometimes. Spice it up with some effects.

String Winder: Another cheap must-have item. Unless you want Popeye forearms.

Spare Strings: Make a checklist of the brands of strings you want to try, then each time you change strings buy the next on the list. Unless you really love the ones you have on your guitar. Make notes on the checklist about the strings.

A Small Notebook: Great for keeping your string checklist in. I also have a "quick fact sheet" for each of my guitars with the recommended string gauges, recommended intonation gaps, measurements of the guitar (helps with gig bag/case purchases), etc.

Feeler gauges: For intonation. Check an auto parts store though, they tend to be cheaper and the same quality (if not better). Heck, most of the tools in a "guitar tool kit" are cheaper at a hardware/auto store.

I've probably forgotten a few things, but you get the idea. Now go practice!

What is this "strumming" of which you speak?

Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster "Kelli"[br]Epiphone Les Paul Special-II LE "Callie"[br]Rogue RA-090 Concert Cutaway Acoustic-Electric Guitar "Theresa"