View post (Gear Snobbery)

View thread

maggior
maggior
09/12/2017 5:42 pm
Originally Posted by: wolfsmg

The moral of this story my fellow new guitarists: You get out of your guitar the music that you put into it. If you know your guitar, you'll sound just fine.

[br]I think this is a really important point. Regardless of the cost of the gear, time should be spent with it to get to know it. There is a tendency to want to acquire more...commonly known as GAS (gear acquisition syndrome, or guitar acquisition syndrome). Some of us end up with a bunch of different guitars, amps, pedals, etc. and not a clear understanding of what each one can do for you.

[br]I've been guilty of this myself. I've taken to using one of my guitars (I have 5 electrics and 1 acoustic) for about a month practicing. I'll play it clean, with gain, with other effects and get a feel for what it can do and how it responds. When I switch, I'll find some things with the next guitar that I find I missed as well as things I immediately start missing from the guitar I had been playing. Each guitar offers something slightly different and has a unique voice. Spend time with each to discover these things. It can be part of the joy of playing.

[br]There is also reverse snobbery, where more expesive gear is looked down upon because the cheaper gear is just as good. There's no end to it LOL.

[br]My go-to guitars at the moment are a G&L tribute ASAT and my Gibson Standard LP. Each are in completely different price ranges as you might imagine. They have very different voices too. They are both great guitars to me and give me something I want.