View post (Combine triads for meat and potato improvisation)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/06/2017 2:49 pm

You are welcome!

Originally Posted by: KillboyPowerhead

The first thing that i'll do to tackle this argument is to learn all of the G-B notes by heart, in this way i can manage to find out in an faster and easier way the triads roots of the lowerest strings. It's also good for soloing in order to follow the flow of the back track, isn't it?

[/quote]

Yes, learn those notes! That's a necessary part of learning that you will use for as long as you play guitar.

Then i'll work on triads combination:

[/quote]

Great idea!

Then i'll have a look to your Jazz courses in arpeggio. Hope i can follow them because i gave 'em a quick look and they seems pretty hard to me...

They are pretty advanced. I just wanted you to see how important it is & will be to learn those chord tones. It can & should be done at the beginner levels, but even when you get to more advanced levels it's still the same concept, just more expanded.

So, I don't expect you to work through those right away! :) I just wanted you to see that it is important to start learning notes & chord tones, because it is the way forward.

[quote=KillboyPowerhead]

About which triad inversion to adopt in improvisation, you're saying that there's not a rule, it's more like an art that you can handle the day that you know how every single triad sound. If it's so, i think that it'll be long time ;-)

Am i right?

Yes! The only rule you can follow is: what sound do I want here? And you can only answer that question if you know what sounds are possible. So, I'm not suggesting that you should know all of the sounds & triads right away. What I mean is that you start to learn them one at a time. Then keep learning more!

That way, eventually you build a library of licks. The more you learn & practice, the more sounds you know & the more choices you have of what to play.

[quote=KillboyPowerhead]

Last but not the least....[br]your schemas about 1-4-5 progression notes given a root on E, A and other strings are very clear and mind-opening, i'd suggest to Lisa McCormick to integrate them into her fantastic beginner core courses (the ones i followed in order to learn playing guitar).

I'm glad that helped you!

You're English is fine. Much better than mine Italian.

Il meglio del successo! :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory