Alternating acoustic and electric

rebecca156
Full Access
rebecca156
Full Access
07/03/2017 3:58 am

I alternate practicing between a Martin acoustic and a Mexican Strat. Is anyone else here learning on both folk and electric guitar? It seems a little slower but still pretty happy with the progress using Guitar Tricks modules. It is still hard to know at which cadence to switch back and forth. I think I've settled on two days on each before switching.

I would welcome any feedback also trying to learn guitar in this manner.

# 1
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
07/03/2017 4:13 pm

I can't say it's good or bad... but mixing my guitars into the practice sessions is what I do. I confess that I've become lazy and do most of my drills (dexterity, scales, chords, etc.) on the electric because it's easier to play and my acoustic six string is used mostly for song practice. Depending on the tune, I occassionally throw in my 12-string. To be sure, different songs benefit from different guitars.

I'm not the one to judge but I see nothing wrong with alternating days between your two guitars. Most certainly, you want to practice on both.

Have fun.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
07/05/2017 10:50 am
Originally Posted by: rebecca156

I alternate practicing between a Martin acoustic and a Mexican Strat. Is anyone else here learning on both folk and electric guitar? It seems a little slower but still pretty happy with the progress using Guitar Tricks modules. It is still hard to know at which cadence to switch back and forth. I think I've settled on two days on each before switching.

I would welcome any feedback also trying to learn guitar in this manner.

Mood. Whatever your mood tells you. Guitar is first about enjoying guitar. So play what you wish one over the other. I think it's a simple as that. Always remember, playing guitar is about enjoying playing guitar. That's why you'll always desire to come back to playing it.

Now, since you want to learn using both tools, great. Each instrument type has it's own dynamic regarding how you approach it. Learning both, if you like do it, is great. Be sure to just alternate. It doesn't need to be at a set interval. As a matter fact, if you find something you're making progress on is taking some time, but you're making progress, don't stop that progress because you've installed a hard stop with only going every two days. That is to say, you never want to stop a breakthrough.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.