Power Chords with Index and Ring Finger

Sleepers Hill
Sleepers Hill
05/30/2017 8:34 pm

Hey Guys,[br][br]I have just got to the power chords section guitar fundamentals II. However, I have been playing power chords for a couple of years using my indec and ring fingers. However, I see that Lisa teaches the power chord using the pinky too. I usually just barre the fifth and fourth string with my ring finger. IS this an acceptable way of doing this, as I find it much easier and I am much more proficient at this technique. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.[br][br]Thanks TIm

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
05/31/2017 5:17 pm

Hi t.walker.12,

It's always good to train your pinky. Yeah, power chords might be easy to play with either combination of fingers like index + pinky, or index + ring barre.

I think it's important that you're hitting that third note in a power chord triad, whether you do this with your pinky, or using your ring finger to create a barre, it works. I've seen a lot of artists do it both ways.

I suggest learning to play with a pinky because it will give you a ton of versatility down the road, it also might help with the clarity of the chord, since you won't be accidentally pressing down on a bunch of other strings and notes like you might do with a barre.

Always train the pinky!

Those are my thoughts. Good luck!

- Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
Sleepers Hill
Sleepers Hill
05/31/2017 6:37 pm

Dear Billy,[br][br]Thanks for the swift reply. [br][br]I really appreciate it. I will practise both methods. Thanks again! [br][br]Tim

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.