Folsom Prison Blues Lesson

tonyd79
Full Access
tonyd79
Full Access
05/29/2017 7:21 pm

Mike-

Hello! I revisited your lesson on Folsom Prison Blues after a few years. I thought and still think it's one of the more difficult Level 2 songs out there for GT. On the electric guitar parts, I feel to move around and play the chord arpeggios during the solo are most challenging to do with the original tempo; not a cake walk even for an intermediate guitar player like myself. Sliding into those unusual chord voicings and throwing those open b strings and open g at the ends are challenging as well.

On the verses with the alternating boom chick playing I've been alternating between the base notes and the double chick notes on the muted D string not both the D and G strings. Am I OK for doing that? The tempo for this unusual guitar part is hard to keep up on the original track tempo.

Any suggestions be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/30/2017 2:56 pm

Hi Tony, yes I agree, this one is a bit tricky to get the hang of!

You are okay just hitting the muted D string on those boom chicks. Playing it that way actually sounds a little cleaner than the way it's played on the original recording.

Generally, speaking, I would encourage you to practice through the song at a slower tempo if you're struggling with it up to speed. Putting in lots of practice at a slower tempo with plenty of repetition is a more efficient method to get the hang of the parts and be able to play them up to speed with the track much quicker!

Let me know how it goes!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
tonyd79
Full Access
tonyd79
Full Access
06/02/2017 3:44 am

Mike, appreciate the feedback on the song, thanks! Just thought it was a little more challenging for a Level II lesson but I know the technique for the electric takes time. Have a great weekend!

Tony

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.