View post (Accuracy of Transcription- Peace of Mind- Boston)

View thread

Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/26/2017 3:30 pm

Hi Tony! First off, thanks for the kind words.

As far as the transcriptions, here are my thoughts:

Most songwriters write music without transcribing it (exceptions: Classical, maybe jazz and in very rare cases - other genres). They simply come up with it, remember it, and/or record it. That's the extent of it.

In order for us to truly know the accuracy of the guitar parts in "Peace Of Mind", I would have to be sitting in the same room as Tom Scholz, and go through all of the parts with him. That's a pretty unlikely meeting. Furthermore, this many years later, I'd wager he can't even remember the parts 100% - and he wrote them!

So, nowadays, we have tools to zero in and make our transcriptions as accurate as possible. We can slow down audio files, find isolated multitracks, and view live performances on YouTube. Also, I've been playing guitar and songs for decades, and most times I can listen to a recording and have a very good idea what is going on guitarwise.

So, between the resources at our disposal, and my experience and trained ear, I can learn a song with pretty reasonable accuracy. Once I learn it, I break it into all of the parts, and film the lessons. After the videos have been edited, a transcriber, in this case Stelios, will watch the videos and transcribe my peformance of the song.

This is the way GuitarTricks has approached all of the songs in the library. I stand behind GuitarTricks -- you will not find a more accurate, comprehensive website anywhere for guitar transcriptions. Period.

There are plenty of sites offering tabs and "accurate" transcriptions, and my experience is that they are very hit and miss -- mostly miss.

Anyways, hope this sheds some light into the process.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach