Humming feedback

alffvdh
Full Access
alffvdh
Full Access
04/25/2017 9:02 pm

Have just bought a brand new Epiphone BB King "Lucille" semi-hollow electric. It's great......but..... I am getting a buzz back through the amp if I have the tone knobs anywhere above 2. It is there at any of the three settingsneck, bridge/neck, bridge. It is not noticeable if you mute the strings with your hand.

It is plugged into a Fender Mustang v.2 amp.

I'm guessing there could be more than one possible cause.

I know it's hard to diagnose online, but has anyone got any ideas what the most likely cause is?

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
04/25/2017 9:20 pm

Hi alffvdh,

This is a good question. If I remember correctly, the Lucille has two humbuckers. The hum can be reduced if you move further away from your amp, which you probably already know that! Another thing to do is to try plugging your amp into another outlet. Sometimes a bad outlet can cause extra hum.

Another thing you can do is to put electrical shielding on the inside of the pickup cavities, that also helps against hum.

There's a pretty good discussion about this exact issue here: http://www.epiphonetalk.com/threads/does-your-epi-lucille-hum-through-your-amp.1063/

Hope that helps, and let us know what you find out!

Best,

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
alffvdh
Full Access
alffvdh
Full Access
04/25/2017 10:06 pm

Thanks for that. Will look into it. I guess the humbuckers aint bucking the hum

# 3
bookas58
bookas58
04/25/2017 10:58 pm

All my guitars do the same at home , but one is not as bad and it has humbucker sized single coils , When I had it custom built , I had copper shielding tape installed in the pickup and control cavities . When I take my gear out for gigs or practice , it stops . After some research I found the answer . In the area I practice are the following , about 10 power outlets , laptop computer amd modem , cable tv box , tv and stereo , cordless phone all adding electronic noise and crazy frequencies . My place is only a studio apartment , so I have no choice but put up with it . The amp by the way is an Egnater Rebel 30 , so it wasn't cheap .

# 4
alffvdh
Full Access
alffvdh
Full Access
04/25/2017 11:39 pm

Ahhhhhhhh... that's interesting! Yes, I am sitting in the lounge with my guitar and practice amp nearby. The t.v, satellite decoder and laptop are about 10 paces away. I use the laptop to stream content including Guitar Tricks lessons. I might try to turn all these off and see if the hum goes away.

Thanks!!

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.