View thread

dtagle
Full Access
dtagle
Full Access
04/18/2017 8:07 pm
Originally Posted by: Marc2017
Originally Posted by: dtagle

Lots of guitar learning sites are starting to offer "Lifetime Access" to their products.

Nate Savage's Guitarlessons.com recently offered it, and this Easter Sale, Truefire.com is offering a Lifetime Offer as well.

I believe It is something a lot of us would be interested in Guitartricks doing this, including myself.

Will GuitarTricks ever offer something like this?.....

I hope they never offer anything like that. "Lifetime" memberships obviously precede a permanent and dwindling drop in revenue for a company. Gyms sell lifetime memberships in the days before they bankrupt. It's an ominous sign. I used PlaygroundSessions for piano until they offered me a permanent. I cancelled my membership that day. GuitarTricks publishes new material pretty much on a weekly basis. They can't do that if instructors aren't paid. At the current price the membership here is a steal IMO. I'd keep my membership if they doubled the price. And BTW, I've looked at those other sites - I don't think they're nearly as good as GT.

-=M

That's an interesting way of looking at it. But it could work the other way too as a LIMITED TIME "once in a blue moon" offer to grab some "hidden" revenue--which is what both sites I mentioned offered (first time for both btw).

Anecdotally, I had a 24Hr Fitness Lifetime Membership at a great price, and they're doing fine. They're in no way giving up the ghost.

Plus, the two websites I mentioned are doing just fine. Nate Savage has 5x more subscribers than Guitarticks on Youtube and it's a new/revamped site that's constantly adding material, and Truefire has been around for over 16 years and is a consistently well established favorite on guitar chat boards by experienced/gigging musicians and has over 4x more subs that GT on YT as well (not to mention they opened up a new recording studio and are constantly adding new content on a monthly basis and have famous artists making vids for them like Steve Vai, Andy Timmons, Robben Ford to name a few).......So I assume they're very healthy. They also both do free online vids with chat on a weekly/monthly basis to current and ex-subscribers which is another sign of growth. New content after new content and huge social media presence does not portend of trouble.

I think a limited-time Lifetime offer from "financially strong" sites is an incentive for many people. Principally because many don't have the time in some months to do lessons and that money goes to waste for them and could ultimately lead to a cancelled membership. While a more expensive a limited-time Lifetime Membership offer could incentivize hidden revenue from certain customers at the outset as that certain customer feels they maybe got a better "deal" since those wasted months can be made up later on when the customer has more time. A parent with babies is the perfect example of someone this would cater to (i.e. no time at beginning but later on as the children grow, etc).