View post (Major Concern)

View thread

Joe105
Joe105
04/07/2017 9:10 am

I feel for you, I really do. It's probably a question many people ask themselves when they try to learn something they like.

It's not an easy question to answer, at least, not for me.

I've thought about how to answer your query and the word that comes to mind is 'Aptitude'. A natural ability to do something well.

OK. There are some people out there who are absolutely brilliant at mathematics. There are a lot of people who understand maths and can use it adequately, then there are those like me that just can't get their head around it. ( Oh I've tried. I can get through the basic stuff but the rest just doesn't compute with me. I haven't got the aptitude for it.)

So, maybe, although you can get the basics of guitar playing and will learn to play adequately, perhaps you just don't have the aptitude to play 'brilliantly'.

I think you have to learn where your limits are and accept the situation. It doesn't mean pack the whole thing in. The main thing is to enjoy what you are doing and accepting the fact that you are not going to be that good.

I played bass guitar in my youth. I was very good at it and my playing was admired. I also played tenor sax, clarinet, flute and keyboards but I never became good at any of them, just adequate. Didn't have the aptitude for playing them really well.

It's true that starting young is a distinct advantage but, if you haven't got the aptitude you are not going to get what you might be dreaming of.

I'm not trying to discourage you in any way. Keep on learning, keep on practicing, enjoy playing what you can. You might make a break through.

You will get better, no doubt about that. You need to stop worrying about becoming 'good' and learn to accept your limits.

The main thing is to enjoy what you can do now. Set yourself little goals. Rellish every moment when you make some progress. Have fun.

A bit of a long winded answer but I hope it helps somewhat.

Now I'm going to practice some chord changes and enjoy my guitar. ( An Epiphone ES339).

In August or September I want to be able to play well enough to justify getting a Fender Strat.

That will be my reward.

Will I ever be 'good' I don't know. But I will definitely enjoy the experience.

All the best

Joe.