Guitar Jam over dramatic backing track

maggior
maggior
03/23/2017 3:33 am

After a period of not feeling too great about my playing, I found myself working with a few backing tracks that were pretty inspiring.

My approach with these lately has been to look at the chords being played and experiment with some "out of the box" notes...the box being the pentatonic scale which is home base for me.

I did this a few weeks ago, so I don't even remember the key let alone what scales I used :).

A technique I used here that worked really well was to control my tone with my volume knob. For the mellow clean section, I rolled my volume down to where it wasn't breaking up. When the backing track kicked into gear, I turned my volume know all of the way up. I did this while sustaining a note which I thought had a cool impact.

A backing track like this it almost feels like cheating...you can just go along for the ride!

I'm a huge fan of the band Porcupine Tree, and this track reminded me of their song Russia on Ice. Unconciously I was imitating some of that song without realizing it.

Hope you enjoy listening to it.

https://soundcloud.com/ballistic_squid/spiritual-aeolian-squid

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/24/2017 2:17 pm

Hey, Rich!

You did a great job with pacing & dynamics on this one. :) Starting simple & being patient with the volume, dynamic level of picking & simple note selection. Then gradually layering in & ramping up!

You followed the backing track well. Great job on the stop & drop break downs.

Originally Posted by: maggior

A technique I used here that worked really well was to control my tone with my volume knob. For the mellow clean section, I rolled my volume down to where it wasn't breaking up. When the backing track kicked into gear, I turned my volume know all of the way up. I did this while sustaining a note which I thought had a cool impact.

Exactly. That's really playing the ELECTRIC guitar. Well done.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
maggior
maggior
03/24/2017 8:27 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Hey, Rich!

You did a great job with pacing & dynamics on this one. :) Starting simple & being patient with the volume, dynamic level of picking & simple note selection. Then gradually layering in & ramping up!

You followed the backing track well. Great job on the stop & drop break downs.

Exactly. That's really playing the ELECTRIC guitar. Well done.

I really appreciate the feedback...thanks!!

# 3
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
03/28/2017 9:50 pm

After a period of not feeling too great about my playing, I found myself working with a few backing tracks that were pretty inspiring.

My approach with these lately has been to look at the chords being played and experiment with some "out of the box" notes...the box being the pentatonic scale which is home base for me.

I did this a few weeks ago, so I don't even remember the key let alone what scales I used :).

A backing track like this it almost feels like cheating...you can just go along for the ride!

I'm a huge fan of the band Porcupine Tree, and this track reminded me of their song Russia on Ice. Unconciously I was imitating some of that song without realizing it.

the dopest track :0

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 4
maggior
maggior
03/29/2017 1:46 pm
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

the dopest track :0

Thanks!!! This an amazing backing track to work with!

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.