Chuck Berry Dies Today at 90

tonyd79
Full Access
tonyd79
Full Access
03/19/2017 3:27 am

Thought I'd share this with the guitar community, sadly Chuck Berry passed away today in St. Charles County MO. Chuck, thank for your amazing contributions to the rock "n" roll and music world, we will miss you, may you rest in peace and the spirit of rock "n" roll never ever die, Amen!!!

Tony D.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/chuck-berry-wild-man-of-rock-who-helped-define-its-rebellious-spirit-dies-at-90/ar-BBylukP?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/19/2017 3:51 pm

The man that invented rock'n'roll. RIP, Chuck Berry.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
tonyd79
Full Access
tonyd79
Full Access
03/20/2017 3:02 am
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

The man that invented rock'n'roll. RIP, Chuck Berry.

Christopher, good to hear someone else in the forum have a comment here. I don't know how many of the young people today know about Chuck's great contributions to music and rock 'n' roll, how he influenced people like Elvis and The Beatles and many many others?? I'm anticipating PBS or the major networks will do an evening special on Chuck Berry somtime soon, if you hear something, please let me know and likewise. I may now learn one of Chuck's songs. [br][br]Tony

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/20/2017 4:52 pm
Originally Posted by: tonyd79I don't know how many of the young people today know about Chuck's great contributions to music and rock 'n' roll, how he influenced people like Elvis and The Beatles and many many others??

I was born & raised in St. Louis. In my teenage years my family moved out to St. Charles County. One of my friends had a farm out in Wentzville only a couple of miles from Berry Farm.

My point is that I was aware of Berry's music & influence on RnR because I grew up in that area. He was a local (& sometimes infamous [br][br]Hail Hail Rock n Roll. And long live the real king.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
03/20/2017 7:06 pm

I started listening to rock and roll in early '58 just as San Francisco's great rock station, KYA, was starting. Chuck Berry was already a regular on the playlist.

A nice piece of trivia I learned today, one that I should have already known... This June 7th will be the 54th anniversary of the release of the Rolling Stones' first record. It was a cover of Chuck Berry's, Come On. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58DVVj-ZeYA

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 5
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
03/20/2017 7:13 pm

Chucky Berry's Johnny B. Goode in the original Back to the Future got me into playing guitar! His music was very influential, and he will be missed!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 6
tonyd79
Full Access
tonyd79
Full Access
03/22/2017 11:27 pm

Christopher-

I thought you may have come from that part of the country; I'm truly impressed with your story and ties to the Chuck Berry Farm and region. I've been in the City of Saint Louis a number of times while traveling west from the East Coast as well during my time at nearby Fort Leonard MO in 1992. While spending some time in St. Louis in 92, before I got into guitar playing, I was aware of the city's proud heritage of Blues and Rock "n" Roll. My Army buddies also told me of "Bluestown" in Kansas City MO, have to go there one day!

[br]Long live the "King" of Rock n Roll, Amen!

# 7
montereyfrankie
montereyfrankie
03/23/2017 6:23 am

How many of us got the urge to play guitar from Chuck Berry and people like the Beatles that he inspired? My big goal as a kid was to play the opening rif to Johnnie B Goode. I cant imagine that I would have ever picked up a guitar if not for Chuck Berry.

Lets not forget we lost James Cotton the day before Chuck Berry

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.