G aad 4 chord

aleguida
aleguida
03/12/2017 9:08 am

Hi,

I'm doing the "suspended chords" lesson and I have a lot of troubles with the Gadd4 chord.

On the classic guitar l am not able to do the chord without the middle finger touching the 5th string. On the acoustic guitar (that had a narrower neck) it is sort of working but it seems that I have to twist my wrist a lot to be able having all the strings playing right.

Any suggestion on how to exercise this chord?

thanks!

Ale

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
03/16/2017 8:01 pm

Ahhh, with these extended chords, it can get tricky. There's not much to say, except that it just takes a bit of time and practice. I know that's not a very satisfying answer, but that's how it goes.

In terms of your wrist, you have to be sure you keep your wrist straight. Let your fingers hold the fret, not your wrist. If you keep playing with a wrist that's twisted, it will cause injury in the long run, and also develop a bad habit. It's important to play comfortably, and to take challenging chords or notes, and practice slowly. But you must practice correctly, and that means don't twist your wrist!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
aleguida
aleguida
03/17/2017 10:29 am

thank you for your reply!

What I've noticed is that I usually play chords with my thumb quite high on the back of the neck (the thumb can easily touch the 6th string) but with the Gadd4 I have to low the thumb quite a lot and twist my wrist a lot.

In the Lisa's video (https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=24767&s_id=2043) you can see that she also twist her wrist in order to play the Gadd4 and also the shape of the pinky and index fingers seem not really natural (the pinky is compressed and the index is bended).

So I wonder if I have to change the position of my thumb between one chord and the other (as in the video) or I should find a position that works for both.

thanks!

Ale

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.