Old Codger learning Guitar.

billmccallart
billmccallart
03/06/2017 10:20 pm

Hi I am Bill Mc Call. I am 77 and I want to play the guitar properly. I have played around with it for 60 years. I can play all the usual chords etc but as I play at accoustic nights in the local pubs to accompany my singing I need to learn fingerstyle . Some years ago I sang in the working mens clubs onstage. I am also an artist. I visited America and took an art instructors course. I had my own studio for several years and took in students but now I paint for my own pleasure. I have been very impressed with the lessons particularly how to play scales which is made so simple by Lisa. I have a house full of guitars . I love them all. I have dabbled with other instruments and also have a keyboard and clarinet. I sold my saxaphones. Don't know what I would do without music.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
03/07/2017 12:06 am

Hey Bill! Thanks for being a member of the Guitar Tricks community. Seems like you've got some practice, and may need some help with fingerstyle. Here's a Travis Picking style tutorial you can try:

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1774

If that doesn't work, you can always use the search button on the top right of the page and enter "travis picking simplified." After you search, it should be the first result!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
Joe105
Joe105
03/07/2017 10:10 am

Hi Bill and a warm welcome to you.

I know where you're coming from. I'm 72.

I played bass guitar in my youth and played in many bands. I was good at it and it brought me great satisfaction. I then went over to tenor saxophone and also played clarinet. I own a Technics electric organ that I dabble with and I also learnt to play the flute.

Now it's guitar time and I'm starting from scratch again and greatly enjoying it. This is an excellent course.

Like you, I don't know where I'd be without music.

I wish you all the very best Bill and hope you have many more happy musical years.

Joe

# 3
billmccallart
billmccallart
03/07/2017 11:08 am

Thank you Joe

Sounds like we have had a similar history with instruments.Thanks for your comments.

I live in Cheshire and I found a very active accoustic nights scene in Stoke area which gives you a chance to show what you can do. I like a sweet tone on the guitar and have just bought a great Burns guitar . Best regards Bill

# 4
Joe105
Joe105
03/07/2017 11:45 am

Wow Bill! A Burns. That brings back memories. I had a Burns Black Bison back in the days. A fantastic instrument but I was too young and foolish to appreciate what I had. One of the regrets I have for not keeping it. But as I say. Young and naive.

Enjoy your Burns.

Joe

# 5
billmccallart
billmccallart
03/07/2017 1:14 pm

Hi again Joe

Yes its a Burns Marquee. The pick ups are great and the tremolo.Makes a great sound. I also bought a Squire Infinity for £60 and my mate says it plays better than his Telecaster. I just need to play these things the way they should sound. I have plenty of accoustics as well two Yamaha guitars and a Takamine. I just cannot resist buying them. Love Guitars.

# 6
Joe105
Joe105
03/07/2017 2:10 pm

That's great Bill. Got yourself a bargain with the Squire. Way to go.

I have a Yamaha accoustic that has a nice rich sound. I found it a bit bulky to start off on so I've got myself an Epiphone ES-339 semi accoustic. It plays very well with a nice easy low action and a large sound scope.

Nice to chat with you.

Joe.

# 7
billmccallart
billmccallart
03/07/2017 3:35 pm

I have been delighted with Epiphone guitars. I hate a high action so I have spent hours messing about with truss rods and lowering bridges. I have a Yamaha CJ12 and an APX500 but the best sound is from the cheapest Yamaha I bought an F310 which is my favourite accoustic.The Epiphone Dot guitar I have is white with two humbuckers and makes a very jazzy sound. My family cannot understand why I have so many but they each have a unique sound.

# 8
sandman935
sandman935
03/12/2017 5:52 pm

Really liked this lesson. It's a great foundation and you'll appreciate it when you move on to the more advanced Travis. Good stuff.

Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

Hey Bill! Thanks for being a member of the Guitar Tricks community. Seems like you've got some practice, and may need some help with fingerstyle. Here's a Travis Picking style tutorial you can try:

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1774

If that doesn't work, you can always use the search button on the top right of the page and enter "travis picking simplified." After you search, it should be the first result!

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.