Use of Capo- Depeche Mode- Personal Jesus

tonyd79
Full Access
tonyd79
Full Access
03/03/2017 2:57 am

Mike-

Hello! I'm sharing this Depeche Mode song, Personal Jesus with the Rockshare guitar group here in Phoenix AZ. About the use of the capo on the 2nd fret, as you're instructing in your tutorials, in none of the youtube videos with Depeche Mode, I see the guitar player using a capo. But I can play along in same key with capo on 2nd fret. He's playing the riff on the 3rd fret it appears wo capo, he must be doing some tuning adjustments I assume? See attached video link of a live performance by Depeche Mode.

I'm sure you're instructing the use of the capo for valid reasons, one of them for fuller richer tone reasons. Do have anything else to add for the use of the capo or deviation from what Depeche Mode is doing? Please clarify.

[br]Thank you![br][br]Tony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2GEOcEcRtY

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/03/2017 2:00 pm

Hey Tony, yes that's right, he's actually tuned his entire guitar up 1 whole step (to F#). That way, he doesn't have to use a capo.

Placing a capo on the 2nd fret essentially accomplishes the same thing. I chose to teach the song using a capo so that you wouldn't have to re-tune the guitar up a whole step. I should have mentioned that reasoning in the video.

One of the main reasons to use a capo is to adjust the key of a song very easily to accomodate a vocalist's range. This might be an example of this, with the guitarist choosing to tune up his guitar instead of using the capo.

Hope this clarifies!

Mike

Originally Posted by: tonyd79

Mike-

Hello! I'm sharing this Depeche Mode song, Personal Jesus with the Rockshare guitar group here in Phoenix AZ. About the use of the capo on the 2nd fret, as you're instructing in your tutorials, in none of the youtube videos with Depeche Mode, I see the guitar player using a capo. But I can play along in same key with capo on 2nd fret. He's playing the riff on the 3rd fret it appears wo capo, he must be doing some tuning adjustments I assume? See attached video link of a live performance by Depeche Mode.

I'm sure you're instructing the use of the capo for valid reasons, one of them for fuller richer tone reasons. Do have anything else to add for the use of the capo or deviation from what Depeche Mode is doing? Please clarify.

[br]Thank you![br][br]Tony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2GEOcEcRtY

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
tonyd79
Full Access
tonyd79
Full Access
03/04/2017 2:02 am

Mike-

Thanks for sharing, appreciate it, that's what came across my mind about the full step up tuning. I may add it may be "slightly" easier doing the riff with bend higher up the fret board with the capo? Overall it accompishes the same thing. Our small and private guitar group is not just a round robin sing/play along group but part of our objective is to study some theory, work and develop advanced skills together as guitar players.[br][br]We are very lucky to learn and play with an organizer much more skilled than us and he enjoys doing this. In any case, thanks and good hearing from you![br][br]Regards,[br][br]Tony

# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/04/2017 4:02 am

Cool Tony! Yes might be a tad bit easier up the neck with the capo. Hope it all goes well -- let me know how it turns out!

Cheers!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.