Thumb Position

jasim.hd
jasim.hd
03/02/2017 9:00 am

Hi.

Quick question about thumb position. So in the fundemental course (which is amazing) the thumb position should be straight up with pressure on the middle finger, you got the idea?

However, for some reason I cannot keep it straight, or in 90 degrees let's say, anyway here's a picture to know what am I talking about.

https://ibb.co/enPGov

So is it normal or not? Much appreciated guys, thank you.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
03/02/2017 6:31 pm

That is a great question. You should definitely try to keep it straight up, but I also must admit that my thumb has wandered in both directions while I've been playing, depending on what kind of chords I'm making. It's best to try to keep the thumb as straight as you can for the time being as you get more comfortable with making cords. You may see some guitarists slant their hand to the side as well, based on their personal preference, but holding your fingers parallel with the frets will allow for an easier time while you're starting out, especially with barre chords.

Hope that helps!

Monique

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
jasim.hd
jasim.hd
03/03/2017 4:45 pm
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

That is a great question. You should definitely try to keep it straight up, but I also must admit that my thumb has wandered in both directions while I've been playing, depending on what kind of chords I'm making. It's best to try to keep the thumb as straight as you can for the time being as you get more comfortable with making cords. You may see some guitarists slant their hand to the side as well, based on their personal preference, but holding your fingers parallel with the frets will allow for an easier time while you're starting out, especially with barre chords.

Hope that helps!

Monique

Hi, Monique.

[br]Thank you for your answer, yes it did help a lot. I'm trying hard to keep it straight, it just sometimes wanders to the left by itself, so guess i have to have more control over it.

Will definitely try to keep it straight up.

Thank you, again, Monique. Rock on!

# 3
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
03/03/2017 4:49 pm

It's a good 'rule of thumb.'

john

....sorry 'bout that

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 4
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
03/03/2017 6:58 pm
Originally Posted by: jasim.hd

Hi, Monique.

[br]Thank you for your answer, yes it did help a lot. I'm trying hard to keep it straight, it just sometimes wanders to the left by itself, so guess i have to have more control over it.

Will definitely try to keep it straight up.

Thank you, again, Monique. Rock on!

Glad I could help, best of luck with your guitar learning journey. :)

Monique

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.