View post (The current forum sucks: Suggested improvements)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
02/28/2017 4:53 pm

Hi guys... I just spent an hour typing my response to this thread. For the first time in my experience, I clicked SUBMIT, was taken to a page where it asked if I was a robot. Upon clicking 'no', that page closed and I was taken back to the the forum where my post was no where to be found. Sigh.

So I will try a more brief version...and save what I write before posting.

While I wouldn't use the term "sucks" I agree with much of what JJ90 says. The change in the member profile page was a loss. For me, there was an enhanced sense of community when I learned more about my co-members. The inclusion of birthdate, location, interests, guitar/music experience and other commentary was great. It helped me understand where a member was coming from, sometimes explained awkward writing, tempered my response to some snarky remark about one of my favored, 50-year old tunes, or added a sparkle to the realization that the member was at some place I use to cruise and love.

I know GT resources are limited. But I don't understand how the previous member profile page takes much...something to be (optionally) filled out upon joining and changed on a member's whim. But I must be in a very small minority. When I long-ago posted this same comment Ben responded with an open question to others, 'what do you think?' Last I saw, there were no responses.

There are other things that I have expressed disappointment over or provided suggestions. Which leads to polls...

Polls...OMG...polls! Something I've suggested for much of my nearly decade-long membership. I feel even stronger about 'em now because, after the remake of GT, I wondered if the changes were designed by guitarists or users of GT. And especially wondered if any guitarists or users where consulted before the changes. However, the years-long experience with the Song Request Forum portends little hope for response to polls.

I love GT. It's been a boon to my lifestyle and quality of life. I consider myself a defender of GT and jump in when I think someone's critical language is too strong or out of touch. But..."there's room for improvment."

john

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins