Godin vs Strat

Docash
Docash
11/23/2016 3:12 am

Hopefully somebody can help me. I'm looking for a guitar with a strat-like sound (single coil, bright sound), but I just get bored looking at strats--they all look the same to me. I also don't like telecasters for what it's worth. I heard about the Godin Session line and from what I can hear on YouTube, they seem to sound very similar to the strats--and I think I like the look of them a little more.

Can anybody tell me if the sound on their bridge pickup (the humbucker) sounds close in comparison to the single coil bridge pickup on the strat? Obviously I'm referring to when the tone knob is pulled out to split the coils.

Also, are the Godin guitars significantly heavier? Not sure I want a very heavy guitar.

Thanks for the help, I can't get my hands on one where I live.

# 1
maggior
maggior
11/23/2016 3:51 pm

I learned the hard way that if you want a guitar that sounds like a strat, buy a strat....want a guitar that sounds like a Les Paul, buy a Les Paul.

I understand the desire to get a guitar that has some personality and is different from what you see all over the place. I've checked out Godin guitar before and heard great things about them, but I have never gotten to play one. So I can't comment on that.

You are right to be questioning how good the split coils on a humbucker guitar will sound. On my Les Pauls, the coil split just makes the guitar sound wimpy and I don't find the tone particularly useful. My PRS CE 24 actually has a useful coil split. On the bridge it can sound nice and brite with a bit of single coil bite. It's not quite strat bite, but it's close enough in most cases.

# 2
Docash
Docash
11/24/2016 12:28 am

Thank you!

# 3
takiomail444
takiomail444
12/06/2016 10:58 pm

You should conuder also Yamaha and Vintage. Espexially V6. Check theese[br]https://musicsquare.co.uk/151690_Yamaha-Pacifica-212VQM-CBR.html[br]http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Vintage-V6MRTGB-ICON-Thomas-Blug-Signature-Electric-Guitar-White/DEI

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.