I'm Back!

ZackyH
ZackyH
07/22/2002 1:41 am
I've been gone for a long time. Too bad I'm so busy I can't really hang around very much. Maybe in a few months when I get back to going to school (for some odd reason I have so much more free time during school and hardly any time over the summer).

Anyways, for a while now I've been going to industrial music forums on the net. Something that is kind of popular in experimental industrial is circuit bending. Has anyone ever heard of this? You use electronic games and other toys that make electronic noises (Speak and Spells, etc) and bend the sound circuit in them. All kinds of odd noises will occur when you press the buttons. I've gotten a few toys to try this out on. I have my stupid Furby doll and a cheap musical keyboard. I haven't started yet.

Now, what I was wonder is whether this would work on guitar equipment. Cheap distortion pedals. Things like that. The only problem is that websites say that you should never circuit bend things that are connected to an outlet. It should always be something that is using batteries. Something that isn't going to shock you to death.

I've seen pedals that use batteries and I was interested in doing this but I'm sort of afraid of it messing up my guitar and amp since those are plugged into the wall. I'm thinking of getting one of those portable tape recorders and recording my guitar and then sending it through the circuit bent pedal to see what happens. Too bad I don't have any money to buy one now. I saw a few pedals over at the music store for about $10 and that's prbably what I'll use for this.

BTW, here are some sites about circuit bending if you want to try it:

http://www.oddmusic.com/illogic/
http://www.cementimental.com/

# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/22/2002 5:19 am
You can mess around with the stuff on the input side of the system, like the pedals and such. Just be sure to avoid anything that's plugged into the AC wall outlets. Battery-powered pedals don't have dangerous voltage levels in them, as far as I know, but you do risk damaging the circuits, and possibly cutting yourself on the component leads, or broken circuit boards and displays.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
James8831
James8831
07/22/2002 9:49 am
It's beyond me
,(can manage basic preamp/amp circuits),but
i suspect the some difficulties lie in knowing exactly where to put the input and output.

http://www.geofex.com/fxprojex.htm

and similar are probably a better sort of place to start

ie, circuits that won't damage anything ,are safe,low voltage and give you some theory.

Volume pedals are a nice place to if you're new to things :)

V Simple
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 3
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/23/2002 12:12 am
knock yourself out;)
# 4
ZackyH
ZackyH
07/24/2002 2:04 am
Before I take the plunge into making my own pedals I think I'll look into messing with my little Slot Machine electronic game. I've taken it apart and I'm about to see what different sounds come out when I link the circuits together. It says in tht circuit bending tutorial all I need is two mini screwdrivers, a wire, and 2 metal clamps to connect the wire between them. Then, I just place the screwdrivers on different circuits to see what is produced.
# 5
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
07/24/2002 1:06 pm
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW!
*speechless*...
oddmusic.com, FANTASTIC SITE... cheers Zack... i never nknew there were poeple out there intrested in the same field i am...
*will die a happy man* LOL
# 6
ZackyH
ZackyH
07/25/2002 1:18 am
What field is that? Making odd music or making odd looking instruments?
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.