PUP height

Nikki Thedog
Full Access
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
10/03/2016 4:25 pm

Is there a "standard" height that pups should be? I know you get different tones from different heights, but wondered if there is a procedure for getiing it right, or is it just hit and miss? Dale
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/04/2016 1:30 pm
Originally Posted by: 69deville
Is there a "standard" height that pups should be? I know you get different tones from different heights, but wondered if there is a procedure for getiing it right, or is it just hit and miss?

It all comes down to listening. A lot of trial & error, making adjustments & finding what works for you.

There are lots of great resources on the web, from StewMac, guitar pickup manufacturers, YouTube vids.

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Learn_About_Guitar_Pickups_and_Electronics_and_Wiring/Lindy_Fralin_on_how_to_set_pickup_height.html

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/fine-tuning-the-adjustment-of-passive-humbuckers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqE1xMUvVq4

I selected that vid b/c it mentions the basics & is very straightforward. Plug the guitar into an amp! Lower the pickups on the bass side, make sure the pickups don't interfere with the strings, the overtones, your picking. Listen & find your personal preference.

I find that they typically need to be lower than most people set them. ZZSmilieZZ

Also don't forget you can ask our GT tech! Hope this helps!

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/threads.php?f=30
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
10/04/2016 3:39 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegelI find that they typically need to be lower than most people set them. ZZSmilieZZ

A bit of a heavy picker, are ya Chris? ;)

When I first started trying to adjust my pick-ups (back when there was no Youtube...) I assumeed higher was better. Nope...magentics and my picking told me otherwise...
# 3
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
10/04/2016 3:43 pm
When the guy from Stewmac said the height was around 1/16" - 1/8" I already knew my pups were way too low. Also after reading the Duncan article I started wondering if my O-scope had a dB function since seeing the actual wave was a nice touch. I reposted my question to your tech, but think I aleady know where I need to start. Thanks again Christopher...
# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/04/2016 10:06 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65A bit of a heavy picker, are ya Chris? ZZWinkZZ

Guilty as charged, sir.

It's taken a few decades, but I finally managed to learn to back off a little sometimes. Especially on the higher, thinnner strings! But my pickups will always be set pretty low on the bass side. Love that Strat low end when you really dig in on the low E string!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/04/2016 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by: 69devilleWhen the guy from Stewmac said the height was around 1/16" - 1/8" I already knew my pups were way too low. Also after reading the Duncan article I started wondering if my O-scope had a dB function since seeing the actual wave was a nice touch. I reposted my question to your tech, but think I aleady know where I need to start..

You are welcome! Sounds like you've got it under control. Best of success with the adjustments!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.