View post (Learning with Recording)

View thread

maggior
maggior
09/27/2016 1:08 pm
Originally Posted by: luckotdraw
Being a visual artist helps being able to handle the critique given and not take everything personally. And no, not stack up but I often like to set benchmarks for myself. I find it motivates me. I'm not a natural but I work hard. Your playing is impressive and it's motivating to have members here like yourself that can show that the teaching methods work, as well as being active and helpful here in the forum section. Keep on rocking and keep posting your jams, it's inspiring.

Seems to me you are in the perfect mindset! Attainable goals are invaluable, so that's great that you set benchmarks for yourself.

I used to post stuff more often but it began to feel as though nobody was interested. Since there seems to be some interest again, I'll try to post more often. When I first started posting, it was hugely motivating for me to get feedback...it gave me a sense that I was on the right track and what I was doing was interesting to some people.

The last thing I did is something I feel pretty good about...you may have heard it already on my soundcloud, but in case you missed it....

https://soundcloud.com/ballistic_squid/govan-em-jam

The story here is I improvise mainly out of the pentatonic scale. Slowly I've been trying to add to that to add some flavor to my playing. I'm also trying to add legato licks and develop some speed. On this track it all came together and established a new level in my playing. I also came across a really inspiring patch on my Eleven Rack which seemed to make my guitar tone soar.

So, to go back to the original point of this thread...having this recording is motivating for me because I have documented proof of what I'm capable of for when I get down on my playing in the future ZZSmilieZZ. We all have ups and downs, it's good to have things that help you through the lows.