Threshold

Nikki Thedog
Full Access
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
09/20/2016 4:57 pm

Just bought a Code 25 modeling amp, and one of the settings in the app you can use with it is threshold. Is this the equivalent of presence, or something totally different? Thanks in advance. Dale
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/26/2016 11:12 pm

Congrats on your new amp! Looks like Marshall is moving into the 21st century quite well. ZZSmilieZZ
Originally Posted by: 69deville
Just bought a Code 25 modeling amp, and one of the settings in the app you can use with it is threshold. Is this the equivalent of presence, or something totally different? Thanks in advance.

Threshold usually refers to an effect setting for delay, or noise gate/compression. I haven't had the opportunity to play one of these yet. But I looked at the PDF manual on their site.

https://marshallamps.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/CODE25_OwnersManual_Sept16.pdf

If you search for "threshold" sure enough it comes up under the noise gate setting on page 6.

"If the noise Gate is applied, when your sound level drops below the set threshold
it will activate, preventing any signal below that threshold from passing through.
It progressively attenuates the guitar signal, following its dynamics, to suppress
unwanted noise.

GATE
PARAMETER VALUE RANGE DESCRIPTION
Threshold 0 - 10 Sets the point at which the Gate begins to close."

Hope that helps!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
09/27/2016 6:10 pm
Thanks Christopher. I guess if all else fails, read the *&*$_@# manual. It is odd the manual (pg 6) does state what you wrote but a gate is NOT listed on either the "amp" or FX settings. On the amp they have all choices available (JTM 45, Bluesbreaker, Plexi etc) as well as "Natural" but stop there. Gate is not available? Maybe it is on larger Code amps? I did notice though on the amp there are several choices for say "distortion" like pitch shift, compression, etc as well as "modulation" (phaser, tremelo, etc) so I'm going to play around with threshold on those, delay as well. There are quite a few things that can be done with this amp that I just discovered after your reply. Obviously if I were playing a large room/hall I'd prefer a JCM800 but for the small office in my house this this is a steal, so I welcome Marshall to the 21st century with open arms!!! Thanks again...

Update: I stand corrected, I believe the pre-amp function "Natural" is a way to plug in your own pedal, and the gate function is activated when doing so? This is a assumption since I haven't actually tried this yet. The "reverse delay" setting sounds like a sick little feature also...
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.