View post (Major Chords are 1, 4, 5 Why is this?)

View thread

jarkko.eklund
Full Access
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
09/19/2016 3:40 pm
Originally Posted by: Abadez
i tried to understand between the major and minor which is like this :

The major keys as we agreed should be (1,4,5), those chords should be Major. then i started to stair at the minor too and i come up with this:

for Minor keys for example ( B minor ):

Bm - C# Dim - Major - Minor - Minor - Major - Major

So, its some how related in the terms of the form.

but as my above question, can you explain why are these same?

In major keys I-IV-V chords are major
In natural minor i-iv-v chords are minor
In harmonic minor chords are i-iv-V
In melodic minor chords are i-IV-V

----

one more question, im using a website to create music. but i kept looking for (Diminshed) chord. i couldnt find, i found only Bb. is diminshed means the flat?
and thanks a lot in advance.

Let me clarify a terminilogy.

A diatonic scale (both major and minor) has seven notes. All the musical alphabets.
In the key of C major the notes are C-D-E-F-G-A-B. The scale degrees of the notes on a scale are marked with arabic numbers 1-2-3-4-5-6-7.

The chords on a diatonic scale are marked with roman numerals. All scales (major and three minors) have numbers one to seven, naturally, as the scale has seven notes.
Major chords are marked with Capital letters, minor chords are in lowercase. V and v are different chords, first one is major and the latter is a minor chord.

In a major scale chords are
I - ii - iii - IV - V - vi - vii°
I, IV and V are all major chords
ii, iii and vi are minor chords
vii° is a diminshed chord

In natural minor scale chords are
i - ii° - III - iv - v -VI -VII
i, iv and v are minor chords
III,VI and VII are major chords
ii° is a diminished chord.

There are four different triad chords.
Major triad has a root note and a major 3rd (four half steps) and perfect 5th (seven half steps) intervals.
Minor triad has a root note and a minor 3rd (three half steps) and perfect 5th (seven half steps) intervals.
Diminished triad has a root note and a minor 3rd (three half steps) and diminished 5th (six half steps) intervals.
Augmented triad has a root note and a major 3rd (four half steps) and augmented 5th (eight half steps) intervals. That chord is marked with a plus +, for exemple A+