In Ear Monitors

hdoran
Full Access
hdoran
Full Access
06/06/2016 1:04 pm
Hello

My band is transitioning to in-ear monitors from floor monitors and I am looking to learn from others based on experience before I buy my IEMs.

In particular, any brand recommendations, if you prefer wired or wireless, any war stories that make for good lessons learned.

If context matters, we play through a presonus 16.4.2 and the aux outs are all 1/4 inch. I play either my Gibson 335 through an Orange TH 30 or my American Standard HSS through the same amp.
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/07/2016 1:34 pm
Originally Posted by: hdoran
My band is transitioning to in-ear monitors from floor monitors and I am looking to learn from others based on experience before I buy my IEMs.

I have very limited experience with them; mostly demoing. They didn't exist back when I was doing 7-nights-a-week gigging. :D

I encourage you to try before you buy & look on various audiophile & musician forums for input.

Best of success!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
maysheer48.6
maysheer48.6
07/12/2016 7:02 am
I find In Ear Monitors helpful but don't really enjoy them. They can be inconsistent and you need a good engineer to run them. For singing with loud bands, I understand why you would use them but I would say that it's much harder to mix in-ears if you don't know the band.

ChristopherSchlegel is right, I would also encourage you to check various audiophile and musician websites before buying. Some sites where you may see discussions of best brands are Head-Fi, StereoPhile, HeadphonesUnboxed
# 3
jeff.spencer
Full Access
jeff.spencer
Full Access
09/22/2016 9:42 pm

I play at church and we use IEM's. The current brand I use is Shure. The low-ends cost around $100 and they work fine for my application.
# 4
PaulSchoff
PaulSchoff
06/05/2018 5:42 am

[br]Check out Alien Ears, or you can go for Westones have a large soundstage very suitable for distinguishing the instruments in the acoustic space.

I have a Shure PSM200 and run the guitar on one and the other bands in the other, as I had an ear surgery.

Take a look at other forums/sites like Stereophile and SoundMaximum

Go for wired IEMs, as they do have more fidelity.

For presonus 16.4.2, I suggest you go with multi-channel IEMs as musicians will have more control over what they hear from their monitors.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.