View post (back)

View thread

David C
David C
07/18/2002 3:29 pm
Yes, I think Adam Smith had something like that in mind (capitalism with morals) when he first came up with the idea of the Free Market. He didn't intend for some people to be able to make infinite amounts of money at the expense of others who only make a tiny amount.

The problem in America is, as I and others see it, that human dignity has come to be seen as something that has to be earned instead of being a birthright. I think it is a birthright as a human being, and not something you have to work for. By basic human dignity I mean a decent place to live and enough to eat. Here in America, welfare is looked down on, because most Americans think if you're not working, you don't deserve human dignity. This comes from our Puritan ancestry I guess, but it is wrong. Now, I know our Yankee hard work ethic has brought us great things--the luxuries of life you could say, like guitars and amps--but it's also made us demonize those who are unable or unwilling to work. There's enough wealth to go around if only some of the insanely rich would agree to share some of it, or if we could have a salary cap kind of thing for CEO's and such. Why should ditch diggers make $10/hour while lawyers make $100/hour? Who is working harder?

DC
"It's all right son . . . we told you what to dream"