12th fret buzzing on acoustic

David C
David C
07/17/2002 2:30 pm
I'm getting an annoying buzzing sound from my strings at the 12th fret and higher, but mostly with hammer-ons. (Hammer-on with an acoustic? Yes, sometimes it's necessary). I can work all the way up to the 12th fret, hammering, and the noise begins exactly there at 12. There is a slight noise playing regular notes in this area of the guitar, but not nearly as bad as the hammer-ons, which sound like rattling paper or something.

Here are some details:

(1) It's a Takamine, about ten years old, and it's never had a high quality case for a home. It's been in a cheap case that's not a good fit and even this case has been broken by my kids so I've had to use a wadded-up cloth for neck support. So the neck could be warped, but I don't see visible signs of it.

(2) I just started soloing this summer, so this is the first time that I've actually ventured up around the 12th fret in a hammer-on kind of way. Could it be that the guitar has always done this and I just never noticed it, because I usually just play open chords? Any Takamine owners out there?

(3) I replaced the strings on it a few weeks ago, and bought a brand that I've never tried before, but the salesman assured me that they were quality strings, comparable to the John Pearson's I usually buy. Besides, they sound great apart from the 12th fret thing. I'm an old hand at stringing the guitar, so I don't think the problem is in my technique.

So my question is, why the buzzing only at 12th fret and higher? And what does it mean that it occurs mostly with hammer-ons? Has anyone had similar problems? I can't afford to get much work done to this guitar. I've read some old threads and heard about Jon's sandpaper trick, but this happens with all the strings, not just one. Any other suggestions? I know, I know: take it to your local music store . . . but I thought I'd ask here first. Thanks,

DC
"It's all right son . . . we told you what to dream"
# 1
taylormarkow
taylormarkow
07/17/2002 2:53 pm
That buzzing thing happens on my electric, usually when i bend e on the fifth fret, but it only happens there. The guy at the guitar store says either my neck is warped (or theres a problem with my truss rod) or i have a high fret. and i wont spend 175$ on a new fret for a 200$ guitar.
Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess was why several of us died of tuberculosis.
# 2
blackrose
blackrose
07/17/2002 5:49 pm
You could try-

1. Raising the strings from the fretboard a bit. No, I don't know how you would do that with a takamine but I'm sure someone does.

2. Getting the neck adjusted by a friend who knows what he's doing, if you're lucky enough to have one. No, you don't need to buy a new neck (I hope).

3. Stretch the strings out a bit. I got no clue if that will work for you or not, it's just something I gotta do with my guitar when I put on new strings to avoid buzzing.

Sounds like rattling paper...my guess is that it would be that the neck is messed somehow.

Sorry I can't help more, but I'm not the most fluent at troubleshooting guitars I've never seen before.
# 3
David C
David C
07/17/2002 6:46 pm
Thanks for the advice. I always stretch my strings when I put them on first-thing, so I don't think it is that. I'll have to take it to the music shop I guess, or maybe try new strings. I really don't think I had this problem before this set of strings. Or maybe I'll just play it and avoid hammer-ons for now. I'll let you know if I find out anything.
DC
# 4
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
07/18/2002 5:42 am
Hey David,are your new strings a different gauge than you normally use? As you have said, this might not be a new problem, just a newly detected problem, rather than bore you with the details of all the things it might be, why don't you take it to your local guitar shop and have a repairman do a "Setup" on your guitar, he'll check the neck,frets,nut,bridge, adjust the truss rod, set the action, etc... this is not terribly expensive and really a good investment that most guitarists should make, a good set-up will make a guitar play the way it's supposed too, and can really make a difference, guitars are just not set-up very well at the factory.............
PS, get a good case for that guitar, kids can be rough on a guitar, don't ask me how I know.............
# 5
James8831
James8831
07/18/2002 1:47 pm
David, a 10 yr old acoustic proably deserves a shop setup - know mine does.., I doubt the neck's warped, i don't own a proper case[the good ones are hung on wall hangers though] and my cheap Fender Gemini is OK ,but it all wears from the nut, to the frets, to the bridge....etc.

Kids don't get near my guitars - electric cattle prods and locking them under the stairs deters children.
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 6
David C
David C
07/18/2002 2:05 pm
Thanks guys,
This is great advice. One thing I wanted to clear up: I stated that the worst noise comes when "hammering-on" at the 12th fret, but what I meant was when "hammering," which is something different you know. I just realized that last night as I was looking through this helpful book a friend gave me called "The Complete Guitarist" by Richard Chapman. I recommend it to all intermediate players who want to learn a little theory and what not. It's got everything.

DC
# 7
James8831
James8831
07/19/2002 5:07 am
Hammering is best done with a Telecaster -see Keef for details. J/K .
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 8
David C
David C
07/19/2002 3:56 pm
I know the whole idea of hammering with an acoustic seems a little trivial, it's just that I want my little Tak to be perfect!

Oh, to answer pstring's question, the string gauge is the same I always use--medium--but it is a different brand. I'm going to get a little more wear out of these strings then go back to the John Pearsons and see if that helps.

DC
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.