Bringing in the pinky...

Nikki Thedog
Full Access
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
05/12/2016 1:34 am
I've been playing on/off for years and now that I'm older I am finding more time to stick with the guitar. With the exception of chords, I have never really used my pinky. Whenever I've attempted to pick out some "lead" in a song I only use the other three fingers. Is it even possible to bring the pinky up to speed after 20+ years. I can handle most of what I play w/o it but I want to learn more and feel I am wasting potential talent by doing this. My goal is to consistently improve so is there any ideas, tutorials, to get the pinky involved? Thanks in advance. Dale
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/12/2016 1:40 pm
Originally Posted by: 69devilleIs it even possible to bring the pinky up to speed after 20+ years.[/quote]
Yes, absolutely! It will take a lot of work, but it can be done.
[QUOTE=69deville]
My goal is to consistently improve so is there any ideas, tutorials, to get the pinky involved?

Yes! This first one is a way to get your pinky into the act while still playing chords, music & even songs.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1292

This next one is just a bunch of trilling drills that will help all your fingers improve strength & dexterity. The pinky is included of course. :)

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1829

Hope this helps! Have fun!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
05/15/2016 6:45 pm
Thank you Mr. Schlegel. Have them in my favorites and will give them a shot. I've thought up different "routines" to get the pinky involved, but trilling was never one of them. Well played... Dale
# 3
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
05/17/2016 9:06 pm
It's crazy how just playing an open D with the middle, ring, and pinky is like re-learning to play all over again...
# 4
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
05/18/2016 9:15 pm
Originally Posted by: 69devilleIt's crazy how just playing an open D with the middle, ring, and pinky is like re-learning to play all over again...

Uh-huh. "Crazy" is one word...I've used some other, more descriptive words... :mad:
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/19/2016 3:46 pm
Originally Posted by: 69devilleThank you Mr. Schlegel. Have them in my favorites and will give them a shot. I've thought up different "routines" to get the pinky involved, but trilling was never one of them.

You're welcome! Those are all exercises that I still do regularly while warming up & to maintain strength & dexterity.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/19/2016 3:49 pm
Originally Posted by: john of MTUh-huh. "Crazy" is one word...I've used some other, more descriptive words... :mad:

Ha! :p Sometimes it still feels awkward for me, too. But it's surprising how effective that exercise is at whipping your pinky into shape!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 7
seattle2
seattle2
05/23/2016 5:56 am
Thanks for starting this thread, Dale. I will take a look at the exercises too, because I have a song that requires my pinky for some ornaments, and man is it hard to be consistent!

These will be helpful :)
Teresa Anderson
Singer/Songwriter/Performer
www.sonicbids.com/teresamae
www.teresamaemusic.wordpress.com
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.