View post (Playing wrong handed...)

View thread

cjp0
cjp0
08/30/2019 11:38 pm

I'm left-handed (writing, sports, nearly everything). I had never even tried playing until my friend in college had a gorgeous acoustic guitar that he never touched. When I saw it he offered to lend it to me and I my mission began. To be honest, it never crossed my mind that it was right-handed in the beginning, so I learned the easy couple of chords, practiced a ton and that all seemed fine since of course, my fretting hand was my dominant.

That was until I started to apply these chords and finally start playing songs. I have a decent ear for music but something just wasn't right. Strumming was so unnatural but it was all new to me so I didn't think much of it until I searched, and searched and searched and it started to make sense.

In short, I ended up finding the one left-handed electric guitar (had to make the 2nd attempt somewhat easier) in Miami, without even know if it would solve the "problem". Within a day or two, I relearned the chords and that was the best thing I ever did. If righty feels wrong, just get a left-handed guitar!