View post (My Development Log (Baseline: Clip 1))

View thread

jspyatt
Full Access
jspyatt
Full Access
04/26/2016 6:57 pm
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks AdminNice! What are you planning on playing to try out for the band? Haha that's true, it sounds like you're in it for the music and not the pay though!

I don't think it's accurate to describe it in terms of a "try-out". I'm pretty sure I literally "have these guys at hello". For these guys it will be enough that I THINK I can play. I'm sure they will be content to let me "rockstar" it unplugged if I can sing a couple of a good songs for a few style points. I really have no idea at this point as to a particular song. In only a few months time the most I could reasonably expect to do is keep up don't you think. Off the top of my head though, "Sweet Home Alabama", "Turn the Page" & "Hotel California" might fly. Learning the 12 string intro to Hotel California (henceforth HC) would probably make them happy. I have reluctantly sung HC more than 50 times.

This group of Mexican musicians plays primarily "tropical". Salsa/cumbia mostly. They like the oportunity to rock out a little when they get the chance. That's where I come in. So there's "them" and then there's southern/classic rock, wants to be more country me. I dunno. The right fit? Maybe I can (eventually) be the white boy that plays the funky music. Or some other "Brickhouse" kinda thing. Be nice to have that kinda virtuousity. Mexican people dig the disco sound a little. Like the Bee Gees.

For me this would be like the ultimate Tenacious D (special shout out to Gables & Cage if you're accidentally reading this) Gig Simulator 2.0. Also, this group is a full-blown "...damn...trumpet playing band". Horns and sax. Thinking ambitiously, how cool would it be to put out some old school Chicago? "Old Days". Something like that.