Buying an electric guitar - where to start?

ajustinbryant
ajustinbryant
02/23/2016 7:23 pm
Hi all, I'm working my way through the lessons and really enjoying the site.

I've never wanted to buy an electric guitar, but, working through the blues and country lessons has got me kind of interested, to my surprise! Also, I feel I can't make a lot of progress in those styles, as a good chunk of the lessons (especially country) are electric-based.

My question is this: What would be a good intro electric guitar/amp? How would I know where to start? How much should I think of spending?

For comparison (if this is helpful), I spent about $350 on my acoustic Seagull guitar and I love it's sound, and have no plan to upgrade anytime this decade.

I hope this question is not too general to answer. Thanks!
# 1
Papa Rich
Papa Rich
02/24/2016 5:28 pm
Hi,

Good questions! I have been playing for about two years and started with an acoustic. I now have a Seagull Original 6 that I paid $429. I can't see me ever changing that out. I started with an Epiphone SG 400 Pro and I really liked it. I think it was about $345, probably cheaper now. I sold that after I started actually playing music and got a Fender Strat American Standard. That's about $1300. You don't need to spend that much. You can get a great Epiphone or a Mexican Strat. The Epis can go for about $300 or more. I wouldn't get cheaper. The Strat Mex starts at $500. If you can swing $500, get the Strat. Very versatile but you can't go wrong with either. With the Strat, as you get better, you can always switch out to better pickups.
# 2
GT Staff
Administrator
GT Staff
Administrator
02/24/2016 8:45 pm
Originally Posted by: ajustinbryantHi all, I'm working my way through the lessons and really enjoying the site.

I've never wanted to buy an electric guitar, but, working through the blues and country lessons has got me kind of interested, to my surprise! Also, I feel I can't make a lot of progress in those styles, as a good chunk of the lessons (especially country) are electric-based.

My question is this: What would be a good intro electric guitar/amp? How would I know where to start? How much should I think of spending?

For comparison (if this is helpful), I spent about $350 on my acoustic Seagull guitar and I love it's sound, and have no plan to upgrade anytime this decade.

Are you wanting to spend about $350 on an electric guitar/amp as well? That'll be slim pickins.

Let me know.
# 3
ajustinbryant
ajustinbryant
02/25/2016 7:19 am
Originally Posted by: GT StaffAre you wanting to spend about $350 on an electric guitar/amp as well? That'll be slim pickins.

Let me know.

Well, I was thinking $350 but I really had no idea. Not sure about the amp, either. Looking over the web and craigslist I see that might not be realistic and maybe $500 is more realistic. I guess my goal would be something that's got a good reputation for a relatively low price...
# 4
ajustinbryant
ajustinbryant
02/25/2016 7:31 am
Originally Posted by: richray01Hi,

Good questions! I have been playing for about two years and started with an acoustic. I now have a Seagull Original 6 that I paid $429. I can't see me ever changing that out. I started with an Epiphone SG 400 Pro and I really liked it. I think it was about $345, probably cheaper now. I sold that after I started actually playing music and got a Fender Strat American Standard. That's about $1300. You don't need to spend that much. You can get a great Epiphone or a Mexican Strat. The Epis can go for about $300 or more. I wouldn't get cheaper. The Strat Mex starts at $500. If you can swing $500, get the Strat. Very versatile but you can't go wrong with either. With the Strat, as you get better, you can always switch out to better pickups.

Thanks, I'll look into those! That definitely gives me a place to start looking, which is what I needed.

I see some used Mexican Strats for $350 on Ebay - is there any reason not to buy a used electric? I mean, if there are no obvious problems? (obvious to the untrained eye...)
# 5
GT Staff
Administrator
GT Staff
Administrator
02/25/2016 6:26 pm
Originally Posted by: ajustinbryantWell, I was thinking $350 but I really had no idea. Not sure about the amp, either. Looking over the web and craigslist I see that might not be realistic and maybe $500 is more realistic. I guess my goal would be something that's got a good reputation for a relatively low price...

I'd say go with something from the Line 6 Spider series. I have the Spider IV 150-Watt.

It's a solid state modeling amp, so no tubes, but a decent option at $500ish.
# 6
chris_m_bell
Full Access
chris_m_bell
Full Access
02/28/2016 6:48 pm
Originally Posted by: ajustinbryantHi all, I'm working my way through the lessons and really enjoying the site.

I'll throw my two cents worth in...😊
The first guitar I bought to learn with was a Yamaha G 231 II. Bought it off Craigslist for $100. I think that first guitar teaches you how to play but also what it is you like about different guitars. Things like neck shape, nut width, body size, when it comes to stuff like this you can only learn what works best for you through experience. So...buy a cheapie first guitar to learn with, when it comes time to buy your "first" guitar, decide what your price range is and play every guitar you can get your hands on that are in your price range and buy the one that works best and sounds best for you. Epiphone, Gretsch, Ibanez, Fender all good. There is no right or wrong guitar.

Good luck.
# 7
Csquared92
Csquared92
03/28/2016 12:37 am
I bought a Squier CV tele at Christmas for my first electric. Was affordable and plays great. Been using my son's amp, and I need the buy one for myself.

Any recs for a practice amp?
# 8
Fliegenschwein
Fliegenschwein
04/30/2016 8:13 am
I know this thread is fairly old but I just wanted to add my 2 cents ...

I have both a MIM Strat and a Gibson Les Paul Studio, both great guitars but recently I bought a really cheap used Ibanez SA120 (less than Ā£100) and that thing is amazing. So effortless to play. So much so that I almost always pick it up first in every situation. There are some great low priced guitars out there for sure, but also a lot of lemons. I guess you have to play them to find out. Anyway, I hope you found the guitar thats right for you :)
# 9
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/30/2016 10:41 pm
Originally Posted by: MousednaI bought a Squier CV tele at Christmas for my first electric. Was affordable and plays great. Been using my son's amp, and I need the buy one for myself.

Any recs for a practice amp?

This is mine, http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/amps/guitar/trademark30.html .

It's reviewed in the April/May edition of Guitar Tricks Insider magazine.

Stocked by several retailers, always a couple on EBay.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 10
markpetten
Full Access
markpetten
Full Access
06/10/2016 11:45 pm
I'm looking at getting my first electric too and posted a question in another thread about an affinity telecaster pack. Further browsing at the store and online has piqued my interest in an epiphone les Paul. I looked at a special II, the Slash AFD special II, and an LP-100. Any thoughts on these three would be appreciated.
# 11
bobissexy88
bobissexy88
06/30/2016 11:32 am

TheTMS® Full Size Electric Guitar w/ 10 Watt Amp Gig Bag Case Guitar Strap for Beginners Bought this for my 9 year old and looked around a lot and it's a great guitar package, a great price point, sturdy and works very well!
Lets Rock in Roll
# 12
johnv31552
johnv31552
09/26/2016 9:55 am

I bought the Keith Urban Night Star Electric and have to say I am very happy with it. The best thing about it was it came with a very low action and yet no fret buzz at all. Included the amp and case for guitar and the CDS from Keith Urban. The cd's arent as good as the lessons here on Guitar tricks but its an excellent starting guitar IMHO.
# 13
RoTel
RoTel
09/26/2016 9:30 pm
I would budget about $500-550. Look for a used Fender Mustang III amplifier for about $175-225. And a MIM Fender Classic Player Statocaster about $300-350 used or a MIM Squire Classic Vibe Telecaster $225-275 used. All can be resold for close to purchase price if situation warrants the need to. But yet all are of a quality/price point where you will not feel a great need to upgrade for a while or if ever.
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.