Old Geezer Begins Again After 48 years

johnv31552
johnv31552
01/15/2016 11:14 pm
Thanks to Guitar Tricks for an awesome site. I just got my gift certificate membership and 99.00 for a year is quite a deal. To tell you all about myself, I am 63 and a retired teacher. Played garage band rock and roll in the 60's. The old farts on here will remember learning Little Black Egg, Gloria, House of The Rising Sun etc. After 48 years of not playing, I gave in and bought the Keith Urban Nightstar Electric guitar, and I have to say that for the price it is actually an awesome guitar. Has a very low action and easy to play. I am surprised that after only 8 weeks, I have my callouses back and am learning a lot. Guitar Tricks seems to be the way to go. I needed the core system to have a linear method of making progress, and in just one day, I am already at 14% completed with beginner level. If anyone needs help or just wants to chat guitars, feel free to post. Thanks Guitar Tricks. Awesome site!!
# 1
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
01/16/2016 1:58 am
Welcome!

My break wasn't quite as long as yours...about 35 years...but I share your early success. I was surprised and happy how fast it all came back. More than that, I was stunned how quickly GT took me beyond where I was as a kid. That rapid progress is pretty much all due to the GT instructors and their lesson content and structure. This is one fine place!!

Have fun.

john
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 2
GT Staff
Administrator
GT Staff
Administrator
01/16/2016 3:12 am
Originally Posted by: johnv31552Thanks to Guitar Tricks for an awesome site. I just got my gift certificate membership and 99.00 for a year is quite a deal. To tell you all about myself, I am 63 and a retired teacher. Played garage band rock and roll in the 60's. The old farts on here will remember learning Little Black Egg, Gloria, House of The Rising Sun etc. After 48 years of not playing, I gave in and bought the Keith Urban Nightstar Electric guitar, and I have to say that for the price it is actually an awesome guitar. Has a very low action and easy to play. I am surprised that after only 8 weeks, I have my callouses back and am learning a lot. Guitar Tricks seems to be the way to go. I needed the core system to have a linear method of making progress, and in just one day, I am already at 14% completed with beginner level. If anyone needs help or just wants to chat guitars, feel free to post. Thanks Guitar Tricks. Awesome site!!

Good to have you! And that is quite a long break. Props for picking it back up!
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.