Slide Setup for PRS or LP

johlana
johlana
11/27/2015 10:28 pm
Hi Folks,
First post for me so pardon my spelling etc. Anyway, I want to use either a 2010 PRS SE Custom 24 or a 2015 Michael Kelly Patriot Magnum (LP Clone) as a guitar I can use a slide with while also retaining the ability to fret notes and chords. The PRS has a standard tremolo, the Magnum has a Tone-pro hardtail. So my first few of what I expect to be many questions: 1. Which guitar would you use? The PRS has the advantage(?) of having saddles that can be height adjusted individually which allows me to flatten it's 10" radius (if that matters and if so, how/why), the Magnum has a 12" radius that can only be raised or lowered without filing each saddle (or at least the inner 4) to achieve a flat string bed. Your thoughts? 2. Now for the nut. I've seen "nut extenders" that all seem to have the string spread set to 1 23/32" which just about the actual width of the nut on both guitars, obviously not going to work in this case as the extenders are measuring E to E which leaves about 3/8" overhang off the guitar and grooves that don't match anything. A tech I know recommended just messing with the bridge and leaving the nut alone, which at this point of course would mean a nut replacement. Your thoughts? 3. Then there's also string gauge; they both use sets of 9's, most slides I've seen are set up with 11's to 13's. I could go up to 10's without filing the nut, but higher than that, we're into nut replacement land again. So, once again, your thoughts? Thanks!
# 1
GT Staff
Administrator
GT Staff
Administrator
12/08/2015 7:33 pm
Originally Posted by: johlanaHi Folks,
First post for me so pardon my spelling etc. Anyway, I want to use either a 2010 PRS SE Custom 24 or a 2015 Michael Kelly Patriot Magnum (LP Clone) as a guitar I can use a slide with while also retaining the ability to fret notes and chords. The PRS has a standard tremolo, the Magnum has a Tone-pro hardtail. So my first few of what I expect to be many questions: 1. Which guitar would you use? The PRS has the advantage(?) of having saddles that can be height adjusted individually which allows me to flatten it's 10" radius (if that matters and if so, how/why), the Magnum has a 12" radius that can only be raised or lowered without filing each saddle (or at least the inner 4) to achieve a flat string bed. Your thoughts? 2. Now for the nut. I've seen "nut extenders" that all seem to have the string spread set to 1 23/32" which just about the actual width of the nut on both guitars, obviously not going to work in this case as the extenders are measuring E to E which leaves about 3/8" overhang off the guitar and grooves that don't match anything. A tech I know recommended just messing with the bridge and leaving the nut alone, which at this point of course would mean a nut replacement. Your thoughts? 3. Then there's also string gauge; they both use sets of 9's, most slides I've seen are set up with 11's to 13's. I could go up to 10's without filing the nut, but higher than that, we're into nut replacement land again. So, once again, your thoughts? Thanks!

I can't really speak to the nut issue, but I'd recommend going with the PRS since you can adjust the bridge so easily.

As far as the strings, I think a thin set of Elixirs would do fine, even under 10.

I have a PRS CE 24 and I've played a lot of slide on it. It's like butter.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
# 2
spheinrich6
spheinrich6
01/17/2016 2:30 am
Gotta love the PRS.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.