What delay pedal are you using?

beaucoupfish
beaucoupfish
11/03/2015 11:39 pm
Here's my delay pedal history: I had money to burn and little to no knowledge of pedals, so I bought a Line6 DL4 mainly for the looper, and a Boss DD-6 because it was the "safe" choice, and built like a tank ;)

I've since sold the DD-6, and as my playing has improved and my tasted matured, I've been educating myself on delay pedals. I've been watching YouTube videos of delay pedal comparisons, and reading "Best Of" delay pedal articles like this one.

That article does a nice job of summarizing opinions and recommendations from various communities, and they pretty heavily recommend an MXR Carbon Copy delay. On the digital side of things, the TC Electronic Flashback seems to be all the rage, and as of late appears to have surpassed the DL4 in terms of popularity.

If you were me, would you:

1) Keep the DL4, and throw an analog delay into the mix, i.e. the Carbon Copy
or
2) Sell the DL4, forego an analog delay, and get a Flashback or Flashback X4?

How noticeable is the analog delay tone, really? Also, what delay are you using? :)
# 1
GT Staff
Administrator
GT Staff
Administrator
11/05/2015 7:02 pm
Originally Posted by: beaucoupfishHere's my delay pedal history: I had money to burn and little to no knowledge of pedals, so I bought a Line6 DL4 mainly for the looper, and a Boss DD-6 because it was the "safe" choice, and built like a tank ;)

I've since sold the DD-6, and as my playing has improved and my tasted matured, I've been educating myself on delay pedals. I've been watching YouTube videos of delay pedal comparisons, and reading "Best Of" delay pedal articles like this one.

That article does a nice job of summarizing opinions and recommendations from various communities, and they pretty heavily recommend an MXR Carbon Copy delay. On the digital side of things, the TC Electronic Flashback seems to be all the rage, and as of late appears to have surpassed the DL4 in terms of popularity.

If you were me, would you:

1) Keep the DL4, and throw an analog delay into the mix, i.e. the Carbon Copy
or
2) Sell the DL4, forego an analog delay, and get a Flashback or Flashback X4?

How noticeable is the analog delay tone, really? Also, what delay are you using? :)

Ahh, I actually use the DL4 as my main delay as well. Though I've lately gotten a chance to review the Echolution 2 Ultra Pro by Pigtronix and I can tell you hands down that it is the BEST delay pedal I've ever used.

There's just no comparison between the two, which is not to say the DL4 is junk, but boutique delay pedals (and particularly the Pigtronix line) are just a cut above. And I think that's largely due to analog circuitry.

It's just better and more organic sounding.

Another one that I really like is the EHX Memory Boy (analog and has a tap tempo).

As far as what you should do, it's tough to say. I'd advise going to a Guitar Center and trying some different delay pedals. Like I said, the DL4 is a great pedal, but there's more out there for sure.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.