View post (should I get a vintage guitar?)

View thread

dot-dot-dot
dot-dot-dot
07/04/2002 11:29 am
I don't think that vintage guitars are a good investment right now. They're very expensive, especially for anything in good, playable condition. They're also restrictive, in that changing the pickups can slash the value by as much as 75%.

I would suggest buying a very good quality new guitar instead. There are a huge number of makers out there who are producing absolutely mindblowing guitars; Suhr, Anderson, Gordon Smith, Grosh and many, many more. Make sure the rest of your rig is of a similar standard too; buy a decent amp, decent cables, a good guitar case and so on.

The vintage market right now is insane. I do not think that it makes any sense whatsoever to buy a vintage instrument in order to play it; they're simply far too expensive, no matter how good they are. I know that there's a certain kudos, and some vintage guitars are very good guitars in themselves, but for the money you can get a fantastic new guitar that will be a joy to play. And playing's what it's all about, isn't it?
Squeeze the day!

The Monkey FX Page - effect guides and handbuilt pedals.