Thinline Tele / Gretsch

bookas58
bookas58
08/29/2015 7:30 am
I was noodling around on a local forum (Australia ) and a guy wrote in asking if anybody here made an ES 335 style guitar . Someone wrote back with a link to Tolvanen Guitars . To cut a long story short , curiousity got the best of me so I had a look . I need another ES like a hole in the head , but while I was on the site , a thinline grabbed my attention . I've got plenty of axes with humbuckers and coil taps and thought some single coils might be nice , it was available with locally made Alnico 5 humbuckers , a humbucker sized single coil ( sort of P90 ) and TV Jones magnatrons . The site had a few clips on the different options and after a bit more research decided on the magnatrons . Still a humbucker , but Timo Tolvanen seemed pretty keen on them when I contacted him . It was delivered to my workplace the other day and won a few hearts just on looks alone .I was a bit dubious about the pickups with any amount of gain , but when I plugged into my Egnater Rebel 30 , which was on the drive channel it handled it well . Put on the clean channel and another shock , humbuckers out twanging a Telecaster . All round finish is good , neck is fast and comfortable , it has a 6 saddle bridge and a final touch roller string trees and Gotoh tuners
# 1
GT Staff
Administrator
GT Staff
Administrator
08/29/2015 9:39 pm
I'm curious - what kind of Tele did it out-twang? Fender American? If so, that would be pretty impressive.
# 2
bookas58
bookas58
08/29/2015 10:48 pm
It was my mates American Special . This is a bit of a strange beast , for a lot of stuff that I play ( blues , BB King etc ) , I have to dial the tone control way back when playing rhythm . Usually I don't touch it and just toggle between pickups . It's a bit of a learning curve
# 3
GT Staff
Administrator
GT Staff
Administrator
08/30/2015 11:31 pm
Originally Posted by: bookas58It was my mates American Special . This is a bit of a strange beast , for a lot of stuff that I play ( blues , BB King etc ) , I have to dial the tone control way back when playing rhythm . Usually I don't touch it and just toggle between pickups . It's a bit of a learning curve

I'd say "out-twanging" an American Special Tele is pretty incredible. You got YouTube footage of this thing? I'd love to hear it. The Telecaster twang has always held a special place in my heart haha.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.