Newbie from North Carolina

dandy4911
dandy4911
08/18/2015 8:24 pm
I picked up my first guitar some 55 years ago. Learned lots of chords and lots of songs, but I never really learned to "play" the guitar. I have barely played in decades. I decided to try to really learn this time. I have many teaching books and software programs from Mel Bay to Justin Sandercoe. Somehow, I cannot get motivated by those teaching methods. I thought I would give guitar tricks a try at the recommendation of a friend. I started yesterday from the beginning. Having played before, I thought I could breeze right through the first sections. Well, I can honestly say I was shocked at what all I have been doing wrong. From holding the guitar properly to the correct placement of the thumb on the neck of the guitar. I am super excited to be here and look forward to learning the correct way to play. Now to get these old fingers moving again.
# 1
compart1
compart1
08/18/2015 10:28 pm
Hi Dandy,
Welcome to GuitarTrick..
There is plenty here to learn or relearn.. Lots of fun here.. What part of NC are you in.. I'm about in the middle. Check out the functions of the site.. I'm open to PM,s if you have a need for help on the site. Not much at playing help but I might make thing a bit quicker..
One good tip, set you up a schedule for your practice..
# 2
michael.rendon
michael.rendon
08/19/2015 12:29 pm
Welcome to the forum!
# 3
GT Staff
Administrator
GT Staff
Administrator
08/19/2015 5:51 pm
Originally Posted by: dandy4911I picked up my first guitar some 55 years ago. Learned lots of chords and lots of songs, but I never really learned to "play" the guitar. I have barely played in decades. I decided to try to really learn this time. I have many teaching books and software programs from Mel Bay to Justin Sandercoe. Somehow, I cannot get motivated by those teaching methods. I thought I would give guitar tricks a try at the recommendation of a friend. I started yesterday from the beginning. Having played before, I thought I could breeze right through the first sections. Well, I can honestly say I was shocked at what all I have been doing wrong. From holding the guitar properly to the correct placement of the thumb on the neck of the guitar. I am super excited to be here and look forward to learning the correct way to play. Now to get these old fingers moving again.

Glad to hear you're getting so much out of the material. It'll only get better!
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.