View post (Anyone think 80's guitarists sucked)

View thread

guywithaguitar
guywithaguitar
07/23/2000 3:44 am
Ok I heard someone say that the 80's guitarists were awesome, wrong they totally sucked they sucked worse than I do. Also I know alot of people like shred, don't get me wrong I do to, but doesn't anyone know who started all of it. He was the greatest guitarists and still is if he made a new album, Eddie Van Halen, all these shredders wouldn't be able to tap and dive bomb without Eddie. The only 3 shredders I like are Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, and Vai. Here is why guitar players in the 80s sucked big time. They copied Eddie like no other, they played as fast as they could, sure they played faster than him, but they couldn't bring that awesome rhythm he had, no guitarists has that, I'm sorry but all I see is people saying how Satriani and Malmsteen are so good, blah blah blah. I don't know if you know this but all the shredders can read music, know all the scales, and such. Eddie on the other hand just plays what sounds right, and to me that makes him a Beethoven on guitar. In an interview he said he laughed when he saw all these guitarists tapping, they used them as tricks, and he just incorporates them into his songs. But he did mention he liked Vai and Joe. Another thing that gets me is that VAi took lessons from Joe, and sounds kinda like him in the sense they both shred. Eddie's biggest influences were Eric Clapton (awesome awesome guitarists by the way, there is no music without the blues)and Allan Holdsworth, but guess what he sounds nothing like them at all. Please reply, your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Music of today sucks and as a rocker it saddens me to say that the only person in the Biz today that has much much talent and I give much props to his Eminem, no matter what you say about him being crazy, if you listen to one of his 2 LP's you'll find one song that you will like, I particularly like all of them.