Playing E Shaped Minor Barre Chord on Top 4 Strings

kiman
kiman
06/29/2015 10:45 pm
Hi everyone!

I recently started the Rock Style Level 1 course with Anders Mouridsen and I'm practicing the different ways of playing the E shaped barre chords. All was fine, until I was supposed to play Amin on the top 4 strings (E, A, D, G). The issue is playing the G string while simultaneously muting the B and hi E strings. Is it even possible?
# 1
GT Staff
Administrator
GT Staff
Administrator
06/30/2015 2:29 am
If I'm understanding you right, your best bet would be to just avoid strumming those strings, so that you don't necessarily have to avoid muting them. Even though you're barring all six strings, you can kind of "ease up" on your barre and just strum through the top four strings while avoiding the last two.

Hope this helps!
# 2
kiman
kiman
06/30/2015 7:56 am
Hi GT Staff, thanks for the reply

This is the lesson I'm referring to: https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=19405

Earlier in the series we're told rock is all about attitude and we want our left hand to control the chord so our right hand can strum freely. My best bet so far is just playing the top 3 strings and leave out the G, but I want to do it "correct" - the thing is, Anders didn't specifically say if the top/bottom 4 string division for bass/treble sound applied for the E shaped minor barre chord aswell. Perhaps I'm supposed to assume to just strum the top 3 strings for a bassier sound since strumming the top 4 seems impossible, but then again a lot of things on guitar do in the beginning ^^
# 3
GT Staff
Administrator
GT Staff
Administrator
07/01/2015 2:54 am
Yeah and it's true that you need to free up your right hand, though I'd also add that this comes with a lot of time and kind of happens on its own.

My advice would be to go ahead and play through the top four strings, since the note on the third string gives the chord its "minor" quality. Omitting it means you're no longer playing a minor chord.

With time, you'll learn to selectively strum even at higher speeds.

If you want to really just try to avoid barring the high B and E strings, try simply let up on your barre a little bit - just enough to take the pressure off those two strings. It's really subtle, but you'll be able to tell the difference after some practice.
# 4
kiman
kiman
07/01/2015 11:13 am
Oh yeah, ofcourse, I didn't think about that. (That the G string gives the chord its quality)

I'll just slowly practice selective strumming then until my strumming hand knows where to strum when it comes to that voicing. I've got enough trouble getting the G string barred with the other 5, let alone barring it without barring the B and hi E.

Anyhow, thanks for the tips! ;)
# 5
GT Staff
Administrator
GT Staff
Administrator
07/01/2015 5:34 pm
Originally Posted by: kimanOh yeah, ofcourse, I didn't think about that. (That the G string gives the chord its quality)

I'll just slowly practice selective strumming then until my strumming hand knows where to strum when it comes to that voicing. I've got enough trouble getting the G string barred with the other 5, let alone barring it without barring the B and hi E.

Anyhow, thanks for the tips! ;)

Yep, I'd say that's the way to go. Let us know how it goes!
# 6
icebreaker1588
icebreaker1588
07/02/2015 7:31 pm
I do a combination of both, especially if I'm having a rough time getting it right. I aim for only hitting the strings I want, but i'll also lift pressure off of my index finger in the area where i want the strings muted. Both things take time to get good at. Eventually, we noobies will get it down :)

I'll just add in that what I like about doing this is that let's say you're lifting pressure and only muting one string... well, that's one less string you can accidentally hit.
# 7
kiman
kiman
07/03/2015 1:32 pm
I've been practicing some on releasing pressure off of the B and hi E strings and I've got it down clean a few times. It's a really tiring technique to practice so I'm taking breaks inbetween. Luckily I've gotten better at handling frustration when it comes to learning. Just taking a few deep breaths before trying again until I get it right.

I also do what you do icebreaker when strumming open chords on my acoustic. But it's way harder strumming up from the G string than it is from the hi E.
# 8
kiman
kiman
11/25/2017 3:37 pm

3 years later and I found this post. Tried it out and wow, how easy and smoothly I can do it now :D Haven't really used that voicing with this technique, intentionally atleast, but I guess all the other playing has developed the necessary sensitivity. Ah, how great :D Just goes to show that we can master anything over time. Funny how some things seem impossible, and then before you know it.... walk in the park :)

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.