Using modeling gear...

Nikki Thedog
Full Access
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
06/05/2015 9:46 pm
I know some/several instructors at GT use modeling gear i.e. Line6 POD XT. My question is what amps are you putting them through? I was told NOT to go through a tube amp except to use just the effects. The V-Amp I have has some VERY good sounds when I use it with a very inexpensive, very old SS amp I still own. Which amps are you guys using when you use modeling gear in your vids, or any viewers please share your gear ideas too. Thanks to all in advance... Dale
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
07/02/2015 3:47 pm
I imagine most of the people here are going DI (direct in) to whatever software they're recording with.

The idea with modeling gear is that it is supplying ALL the character to the tone by itself. So, if you put anything after it in the signal with its own "character" you're going to be altering the signal away from what the modeling gear is trying to accomplish. Hence why people have urged you to not run them through a tube amp. You absolutely can... it's just not going to give you the best representation of whatever you're trying to emulate. Example - If you're trying to run a model of a Vox AC30 through a Fender Twin Reverb... you're missing the point. haha.

I had a PODxt Live for several years, but have since sold it due to lack of use... When I did play with it in live shows, I plugged straight into the house sound system of the venue I was at or straight into a mixing board of a PA system. When practicing, I had a little solid state practice amp I ran it through. When recording, I plugged straight into my preamp/recording interface.

I'm sure that most of these guys are going DI into their interface. They can chime in if I'm wrong.
# 2
GT Staff
Administrator
GT Staff
Administrator
07/02/2015 5:15 pm
Originally Posted by: aschleman
The idea with modeling gear is that it is supplying ALL the character to the tone by itself.

THIS is definitely true. If you're using any kind of preamp or full modeling system like the Line 6 PODs, the amp you use becomes less important and more so a matter of preference. That's why so many modeling products have "amp models" built in. You can just pick which one you want and then go directly into software or a PA system.

Some prefer this, while others would rather go with the more "traditional" configuration of an amplifier and stompboxes.

Both setups can sound really good.
# 3
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
07/07/2015 4:22 pm
Thanks for the replies. I ran it through the effects loop on my VHT and in sounded OK, but since my "live" setup is my living room (haha) I'll stick with my small SS. I did notice when I ran it though the loop, ALL controls on the VHT were disabled with the exception of the master volume. Thanks again...
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.