I Can't Get No Satisfaction Lesson- No Fuzz Pedal

tonyd79
Full Access
tonyd79
Full Access
05/25/2015 6:58 pm
Mike-

Hello! I'm looking over your guitar lesson, "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" by Rolling Stones. From the beginning, you talk about using a fuzz pedal in and out of intro/chorus and verse. I have no fuzz pedal and wondering if I can get away without one to learn this tune correctly. I have a Vox Mini 3G2 amplifier with multiple model settings that includes a gain, compressor, master volume and reverb knobs. I'm using my Fender Strat guitar w/single coil pickups.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Tony
# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/25/2015 7:07 pm
Hi Tony!

Yes you can still learn and play the song using the gear you have. The fuzz pedal is what was rather famously used on the original recording, but plenty of guitarists choose to play the song using a single amp sound with no pedals.

You can choose very simply to dial in a nice clean sound using the bridge pickup on your strat, and play the riff without the fuzz sound. Another option would be to set your amp for a light crunch sound and play through that way.

With the crunch sound, you could even control the dynamics a bit further by digging in hard on the single note riff, then lightening up your picking during the verse under the singing. You should notice a difference in the guitar sound if you choose this approach.

Hope this helps, let me know how it goes!
Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
tonyd79
Full Access
tonyd79
Full Access
05/26/2015 10:19 pm
Mike-

Thanks for your feedback on the tone/playing technique options for your song lesson, appreciate it! In all, it's most important to learn the riffs and skill sets with the song and not so much worry about getting the correct or authentic tone quality. My Fender Strat will be best suited for a brighter and clearer tone.

I look forward to covering and completing this lesson, have a great summer!

Tony
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.