View post (Storing guitar on a stand)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/21/2015 11:34 pm
I love floor stands...I have three of a different style and brand.

But I take extra care of my guitars and have never considered storing 'em on the stands ...or leaving them for more than half-hour or so. Even then, accidents can happen...kids can knock 'em over as can pets or a slip with the vacuum cleaner. Sometimes the guitars themselves try to slip off (user error). Then there's dirt and dust and other environmental issues.

That a guitar is in its case has never deterred me from playing although I've read on GT that some think a guitar sitting out in the open begs to be picked up. :) Admittedly, I don't do spur of the moment playing as my practice hours are all scheduled. Except for short breaks, when the guitars are out of my hands they are in their cases and away from cold/hot drafts and direct sunlight.

But there are many here that disagree with all that...maybe most. :D

Leaving guitars out should not damage them assuming they are more or less shielded from harsh environment. But beware of accidents and take extra care to keep 'em clean.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins