Old Newbie

p.merriman1963
p.merriman1963
03/07/2015 11:22 am
Hi Mike,
I have taken up the guitar again after having only learned a few chords and the minor pentatonic, yet seemed easier to do 35 years ago......getting old.
Anyway I have tried several of your lessons as well as doing the fundamentals course and think your style and manner of teaching are so profound, calm and non condescending, you are truly a great teacher as I am sure it can't be easy once, like yourself, one has mastered the guitar and then to dumb it down for a novice.
Hotel California for beginners is fantastic, as it gives the vibe, sound and feeling which is immense.
I would love you to show us all how to play the intro (plus the rest) of "Loverboy" by Billy Ocean, played by Geoff Whitehorn..I think.
Keep up the great work Mike,
Paul :)
# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/07/2015 5:36 pm
Thanks so much for the kind words Paul!

There is an extensive approval process with publishing companies before we can teach songs on the website, so head on over to the Song Request Forum and make sure you request that Billy Ocean song there! I would love to teach it for you.

Keep rockin'!
Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
JJeremiah78
JJeremiah78
03/09/2015 12:21 am
Hey mike on the song should've been a cowboy by Toby Kieth can I play the picking part in the beginning of the song on the electric guitar through out the entire song since I only have an electric cause i like the melody a lot better.
# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/09/2015 4:27 pm
JJeremiah78- Yes! That picking part from the intro will sound great all the way through, as you've discovered.

In each song tutorial, we make every effort to teach every guitar part as it's heard on the original recording. But there are no absolute rules when it comes to playing the song live. Feel free to mix and match from all the parts we teach. If a certain part sounds good in other sections of the song, go ahead and play it!

Keep rockin'!
Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.