Finger exercises

newbie75
newbie75
01/15/2015 6:45 am
Hello all:

I am having trouble with my fingers when trying to fret chords. It seems like their too short and lack the flexibility that is needed. I'm sure that others have faced this problem and gone on to become excellent guitar players. What exercises can I do in order to improve my flexibility? I will really appreciate any help with this problem. God bless.
# 1
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
01/15/2015 4:38 pm
This is my favorite. I've been doing it for years and posting it here for much of that time. It's available on both YouTube ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zm_ho26O2U ) and at justinguitar.com ( http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-101-FingerStretchExercise.php ). That site is superb and free. If you're not familiar with it do check it out.

Pay attention to Justin's directions. Play the exercise slowly...very slowly at first. Concentrate on technique; hand and thumb position, curled fingers, pressing near the fret and sounding the notes well. And, perhaps most importantly for the purpose of increasing stretch/flexibility, keep the fingers in position as Justin directs. When you can do all that, then increase the speed.

Take heart. Justin talks about his 'stubby' little finger and how he can't take the exercise down past the third fret. Me too. Third fret, sometimes second fret, is my limit but some day I'll make that six-fret stretch from the first position. :D

Christopher S. has some great off-guitar warmup exercises posted in Lessons ( https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1525 ). These are important and also can help stretch and flexibility.

My practice is pre-planned but what is practiced changes from time to time. One of the longest lived segments of my practice plan was the exercise above followed by chord practice. My stretch/reach/flexibility really improved...I'm sure it will work for you too.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 2
r10k
r10k
02/13/2015 2:15 am
Thankyou for this! The Core System spider exercise is pretty much impossible for me...
# 3
daveshtex
daveshtex
04/03/2015 1:39 pm
Hey r10k
Lol did not want to hear that (impossible) that is exactly where i have reached spider legs i am having real trouble but surely its not impossible Lisa makes it look so easy either that or she has enormously long fingers to reach the low e string 6th or are my fingers just too short any ideas anyone
# 4
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/03/2015 5:36 pm
Originally Posted by: daveshtex... any ideas anyone

#2 above. And dedicated practice time. ;)
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.