Strings for classical guitar - tension

darnorton
darnorton
01/05/2015 8:15 pm
Greetings! Brand new to everything related to guitars. Just got the Huntington classical guitar thru Guitar Tricks promo. Wanted to get set of strings to be prepared for replacement in the future but of course, like most products, there are so many choices / factors that I am at a loss for what to buy. What I understand is I need to keep nylon strings to avoid damaging the neck of the guitar with too much tension from steel strings - fine because I am 4 weeks into learning to play so for that reason as well need nylon. But within nylon strings what tension and guage to consider ? How do I know what is on the guitar already and what I can use for replacement?
From online research this can be very technical issue so I appreciate any high-level guidance or referral to resources that a new player can start to learn.
Thank you !
# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
01/05/2015 10:01 pm
I would go with normal tension, and just know that a heavier gauge will produce a thicker tone, while lighter gauge will be a bit easier on the fingers when fretting. It's really a matter of personal preference, so you might want to try a few different options and see what you like.

Cheers,
James
GT Admin
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.