View post (Critique Please (Blues))

View thread

bbzswa777
bbzswa777
01/03/2015 8:15 am
Thanks for sharing.

Some of your strong points:
- you do a good job sliding into certain notes. I know this may seem simple, but to get it to sound good takes a little while
- you have a pretty decent sense of timing. When it comes to improvising over a backing track, the notes you don't play are just as important and you seem fairly patient which is a good trait
- Your bends are pretty good! But no matter how much we improve, we all still have room to grow when it comes to bending. So don't stop working on them.

Some things you could work on:
- I noticed sometimes your vibrato comes from you moving your finger from side to side. I haven't seen too many people use that technique especially on an electric guitar. I would start getting used to going up or down (but remember to always start and go back to the root note unless you're ending the note on a bend)
- Use more legato. Hammer ons and pull offs make blues licks sound a lot smoother and it's usually easier to play faster that way (not that you should necessarily play faster. that's up to you).
- If you haven't already, memorize the blues and pentatonic (both major and minor) scales so you can feel comfortable coming up with different phrasings.

You said you're a rock/metal fan. Have you ever heard of the book Rock Discipline by John Petrucci? It has some really great advice, music, and exercises that I think can help any guitarist. His Wild Stringdom book is also really good.